Ride em Rhino

If you are joining this site, perhaps you would like to tell us all about yourself here, in as little or large a detail as you like!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Thank you!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:51 pm

If it was or if it wasn't a good turn out on Sept. 8th I think it would be nice to show Falkor our appreciation of this forum by as many of us as possible signing on at the same time to beat the previous record of 65 on March of this year.
Someone else will have to do the math to find out the best world time to sign on, I just cannot think at the moment :oops: . We can all sign on and send a hi and a thank you! I only need four to five hours of sleep so I can get up at any time! 8)

Lee.

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Re: Thank you!

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:37 am

BRIGHTON121 wrote:If it was or if it wasn't a good turn out on Sept. 8th I think it would be nice to show Falkor our appreciation of this forum by as many of us as possible signing on at the same time to beat the previous record of 65 on March of this year.
Someone else will have to do the math to find out the best world time to sign on, I just cannot think at the moment :oops: . We can all sign on and send a hi and a thank you! I only need four to five hours of sleep so I can get up at any time! 8)

Lee.
Falkor, I am not to sure how to send the request above out to everyone.
If you know the "know how "I would appreciate it :D

Thanks.
Lee.

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re: Thank you!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:37 pm

BRIGHTON121 wrote:
BRIGHTON121 wrote:If it was or if it wasn't a good turn out on Sept. 8th I think it would be nice to show Falkor our appreciation of this forum by as many of us as possible signing on at the same time to beat the previous record of 65 on March of this year.

Lee.
Falkor, I am not to sure how to send the request above out to everyone.
If you know the "know how "I would appreciate it :D

Thanks.
Lee.
Tell us when/what time and all that and I will log on Lee.
Berni - left WSP in 1980 ish

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:35 am

tez bobrowicz wrote:good idea Lee, yes I do have loads of material and I have always though it a grate shame that I am the only one to ever see it all. thought of my own web page to get it "out there" for posterity, but I never seem to get around to it some how. have the out line for a book and plenty of material for that too, but I never get time to get around to that either. One day maybe?

let us know what the new subject is Lee, I would genuinely like to be part of that.

be happy dear friend. (it's important)
Hello Tez,

I am in a conversation with Chris on this forum and would be interested if you recall the night the Killer whale was transported to Hong Kong ( I am getting forgetful of names ) left our presence and I wept. Do you recall the words you recited to me.. I am afraid I do not remember but they were comforting at that time, that I do remember.

All the best Lee

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:07 pm

BRIGHTON121 wrote:
tez bobrowicz wrote:good idea Lee, yes I do have loads of material and I have always though it a grate shame that I am the only one to ever see it all. thought of my own web page to get it "out there" for posterity, but I never seem to get around to it some how. have the out line for a book and plenty of material for that too, but I never get time to get around to that either. One day maybe?

let us know what the new subject is Lee, I would genuinely like to be part of that.

be happy dear friend. (it's important)
Hello Tez,

I am in a conversation with Chris on this forum and would be interested if you recall the night the Killer whale was transported to Hong Kong ( I am getting forgetful of names ) left our presence and I wept. Do you recall the words you recited to me.. I am afraid I do not remember but they were comforting at that time, that I do remember.

All the best Lee
WOW, nearly a year since this post and still tying to think of a new subject, or did I? I hope all is well and everyone is making the most of life! Same old same old here, which when you think about it is not a bad place to be!
Would be nice to hear about some spectacular news from one of the regulars on the board, even though waking up in the morning is pretty spectacular :D Its nice to know that good things happen to good people!!

All the best
Lee

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 am

Hello lee you 'ol bugger! Hope all's well with you. Think I last saw you in Brighton XXXXXXXXXXXX years ago?
Yes, Sion Compton-Hall was killed by a number of juvenile tigers at Serengeti Safari Park in Germany around '81. Andy Kench had the 3 wheel Robin Reliant.... I believe he's a top dog with the RSPCA now. Simon was the instigator of Rhino riding, which Bruce (Walton) and I faithfully continued during our terms with Winston, Sonny, Hugo, Thelma, babs, Suki and Rosy... wow, what a firkin memory!!
Bruce is still in Antibes, tottering around lookin' after penguins now. And me? Semi-retired (well, I am pushing 49 now!) to Thailand where I have a terrific wee cafe and spend all my time tooling around on a monster Harley!
Get back soon mate,
martin
PS. Berni...... please jog my memory more..... and what photos do you have of me? Nothing incriminating with Linda..... or Mandy..... or Julie...... :D :D

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Martin wrote:Hello lee you 'ol bugger! Hope all's well with you. Think I last saw you in Brighton XXXXXXXXXXXX years ago?
Yes, Sion Compton-Hall was killed by a number of juvenile tigers at Serengeti Safari Park in Germany around '81. Andy Kench had the 3 wheel Robin Reliant.... I believe he's a top dog with the RSPCA now. Simon was the instigator of Rhino riding, which Bruce (Walton) and I faithfully continued during our terms with Winston, Sonny, Hugo, Thelma, babs, Suki and Rosy... wow, what a firkin memory!!
Bruce is still in Antibes, tottering around lookin' after penguins now. And me? Semi-retired (well, I am pushing 49 now!) to Thailand where I have a terrific wee cafe and spend all my time tooling around on a monster Harley!
Get back soon mate,
martin
PS. Berni...... please jog my memory more..... and what photos do you have of me? Nothing incriminating with Linda..... or Mandy..... or Julie...... :D :D
"Bloody hell" Martin, it's about time you found this forum! Thailand, WOW.
Well, I need some serious update on what the hell you have been up to all these years. How,When,Where. I'm not far behind in age, 47, pushing 49 is better than pushing up daises!! Phuket was always one of those dream destinations that I have always had, a house on stilts above turquoise water with a palm tree coast line, well here I am in the USA, New Jersey, go figure.. Jog your memory?? I have a tough time myself remembering "things". Berni was a wounderful, innocent, beautiful young lady, ( she reads the posts ) was around the group when Elizabeth, a Scottish lass, and I were going out. I am afraid to say in my travels I have all but a handful of photos from the past :(

You keep in touch now!!
All the best
Lee.

Snowy/White Eyes
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

The Posse just keeps on growing!!!!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi Martin, howz it hangin'? 8)
Been very busy recently, not dipped into WSP site for a while. And there you were yet another blast from the past. Sounds cool, loungin' it up in Thailand, and a Harley to boot.
Well, i'm in NE Scotland working for the Scottish Government, in the Marine Lab. Life is excellent, I have to admit. My eldest daughter has told me i'm gonna be a granddad, and I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old as well.
I'll try and get a bit more involved again, when I can free up some time.
Anyway, good to see your still with us, and hello to Berni, Gunner, Lee, Tez and the rest of the Gang, both young and old, and all those stuck in the middle. :lol:

To be wound up, is the beginning of winding down!!!!

Snowy/White Eyes

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Re: The Posse just keeps on growing!!!!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Thank you for your hello!!

A granddad a 4 year old and a 1 year old. "Been very busy recently" that's an understatement. Be good and keep in touch. Nice to hear good news, thats what it's all about..

Lee.

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re: Ride em Rhino

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:32 pm

A very early 1977 photo of myself at the Rhino paddock....... this was taken on a day off so I was probably heading "down town" for a pint at The Donkey House!
Attachments
img104.jpg
img104.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 10600 times

falkor
plague
plague

Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:48 am

:P that was a great paddock for sure

would you ever go in there with those Rhinos? :19

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:29 am

Well it was a good paddock yes, but not necessarily suited to White Rhinos! They barely used the lower part as they then had to lumber all the way back up the hill!!
I worked with them for a while..... never went in with them on a regular basis (as with the Elephants, Giraffes, Zebra etc) as they are so short sighted, easily spooked and, well, stupid that you could find yourself getting bowled over quite easily! Did go in with 2 of the bulls once in that big paddock as a "newbie" had put both Winston and Hugo (or was it Sonny?) in together........... that was a fight that was! Seperated them with a Co2 fire extinguisher!
Fun times!

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:24 pm

I remember having to dig some blokes glass's out of the Mud once, he lent over to take a photo of one of the rhinos and they slipped off into the mud it was lovely Not lol, but then the rhino walked right over them,we all thorght they were gone for good but I found them un-damaged he washed them of and they were as good as new, they cost him some £200 a lot of dosh in them day's and now, he was that happy he gave me a £10 I was made up, it didn't last long in the bar thoe lol

Sas

Cad
ROOKIE CREW

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:58 am

Thinking of the rhino paddock - there was a v. small but v. strong keeper with extremely thick lensed glasses (name??) And two stories spring to mind. Once, when he was painting them with neats foot oil, and they were of course going darker, when asked by a member of the public what he was doing replied that we had enough white rhinos so he was painting some of them black. Then there was the white football in the long grass at the bottom of the paddock. Or rhino egg, as he told any punter who asked..

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:19 am

So come on you lot (not you Cad!). What does "white" refer to with "white rhinos?" (And don't bloody cheat by searching on Google either!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic