I worked their in early 70 s

If you are joining this site, perhaps you would like to tell us all about yourself here, in as little or large a detail as you like!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

plwis9@aol.com

I worked their in early 70 s

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:41 pm

I worked at windsor in the early 70 s in the tiger res and in the girrafe house ,I was their when Ronnie Smart was running it .and I wondered if any of the eployees are still around, or what they were doing in this day and age
regaurds Paul Wiseman.

bill 1976

1976?

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:45 pm

hi i was working there in 1976..don't remember your name but thought i'd say hi anyway.my name is bill,i had a triumph 650 at the time and was married to denise who worked in the reception.i worked with terry in the baboon reserve then with ginger in the lion reserve.also the4 cheetah's. then went to top section for a while .if you remember me say hi sometime. oh..roger was the education guy and garry smart was pretty much running the park..do you remember rendall..in charge ?.
all the best ...bill

jtcarms

Ex employee

Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Hi I had the pleasure of working at the park as a summer job. I lived just half a mile away in Winkfield and spent my early teenage years sneaking into the park on weekends and school holidays through the overflow carpark. Eventually my friends and I were rumbled but instead of being banned we were offered jobs. Litter picking at first but we progressed to icecream vendors, Burger flippers (exciting stuff). I ended up helping out where needed which meant I had the good fortune to work in different areas of the park. It was always the animals that I looked forward spending time with (which unfortuantely was never long enough) Not many 15/16 year olds had the chance to be in a cage with lion and tiger cubs or spend enough time in the dolphinarium to have a killer whale recognise them and come to the side of the pool to get some attention.

When I didnt work at the park I did volunteer work for Save Our Swans (National Swan Institute) and was proud to be responsible for the care of the Swans after their treatment for lead poisoning. This found me back at the park again, for the powers that be at the park were gracious enough to donate the Flamingo enclosure at the entrance to the baboons to the Swan Insitute. It was my job to feed the swans and clean out their pool. (Thank you Zyllah).

I live in Wales now but I go back to Windsor often and I still can't get used to seeing Legoland in the place of Safari Park.

Living in Winkfield there were 2 familiar sounds in the morning that used to send a chill down my spine. Monday 10am was the Broadmore siren test. The other was the morning roar of the lions that even half a mile away and over the hill, was still loud enough to make you wonder if they were just that little bit closer.

My fondest park memories:
Honey Smartie & Winnie (and for too brief a time Nemo). Rocky and Merlin the Macaws, The Chimps, The Baboons, The Sealions (both in the lake and the show, am I right in thinking the stars were Tom Dick and harriet?) The Animal Magic Centre. Oh and spending my wages on Starwars (Your all Clear Luke) and Galaxy Ranger in the amusement arcade. Oh and I just remembered Hill Billy Monshine.

And for those of you who believe its a small world, I bought my house here in Wales off a guy who used to work in the Park.

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

your house.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:10 pm

Just out of interest. You didn't buy your house from a guy called John Foster did you? That would be a small world that i'll explain if you did. Thanks.
"Clubby"

Re: 1976?

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:27 pm

bill 1976 wrote:hi i was working there in 1976..don't remember your name but thought i'd say hi anyway.my name is bill,i had a triumph 650 at the time and was married to denise who worked in the reception.i worked with terry in the baboon reserve then with ginger in the lion reserve.also the4 cheetah's. then went to top section for a while .if you remember me say hi sometime. oh..roger was the education guy and garry smart was pretty much running the park..do you remember rendall..in charge ?.
all the best ...bill

Re: your house.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:35 pm

tiger1 wrote:Just out of interest. You didn't buy your house from a guy called John Foster did you? That would be a small world that i'll explain if you did. Thanks.

My partner s name is julie foster but her father never worked at wsp and I didnt buy a house from him. he was driving for dave burges and was delivering and picking up the northwest area.you might now him from on his travels.

Re: 1976?

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:48 pm

bill 1976 wrote:hi i was working there in 1976..don't remember your name but thought i'd say hi anyway.my name is bill,i had a triumph 650 at the time and was married to denise who worked in the reception.i worked with terry in the baboon reserve then with ginger in the lion reserve.also the4 cheetah's. then went to top section for a while .if you remember me say hi sometime. oh..roger was the education guy and garry smart was pretty much running the park..do you remember rendall..in charge ?.
all the best ...bill
Hy I left late 74 tim durant was in the baboon res ginger eaton was in charge big cat res these are some of the names that were their when I was their roger education allen thomas (mushtie)francis rendal butch and deidre lilly flipper steve bull jeff wilson
(deceased) he was a smashing bloke.he used to walk the elephants down from wingfield.tom sparks electrician doug cartridge barry monger and jeff dolphins to many to name pluss i cant rember some names as so many came and went great days
best regaurds paul wiseman

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: I worked their in early 70 s

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi I was there too Sasprilla I was in baboon's with Terry, Tim and Brillo, Ginger was running the cat's with Mustie, Gary Smart was running the place or so he told all the chicks he kept turning with lol, then moved up to Rhinos with flipper and Snowie, Tanya Grey worked on the front gate Mandy weatherall worked there also, when her father passed away she took over the family bunysess repairing the big top tent ect. ect. they did have a place in longshot lane bracknell but not seen them for ages, if you remember me say hi

regards

Sas

Michael Day

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi

I worked at Winkfield and on the pony rides with Ginger Bell until joining th Navy in 1977. some of the old faces are still around, I bump into Mustie now and again, he lives in Ascot. My step father, Sam used to run the car parks and MR Ronnie used to give me work whilst I was on leave. They were very happy times. If anyone remembers me please say hello. Mick

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm

hello Mick!!!

Louise-Smiler

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Guest wrote:hello Mick!!!
that was me, dunno why, i was logged out!

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi Louise and mick do you two have any photo's you can add on here it would be great to see them also any storys ???? put them on please it's great to hear what every one got up to and ended up doing now.

Best regards

Sas

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:56 pm

HI Louise xx Sas i'll have a look, i know i have some poor shots of the tigers and giraffes, i'll try and find them.. I also remember that old Kawasaki chopper of yours, did you ever manage to sell it?
Mick

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:13 am

Bloodyhell that was a few years ago now wish I still had it, the bloke that bought it sprayed it matt black the Donut head lol got a Harley Fat Boy now great fun waking up the neibours at 5am when I go to work lol, so what you been upto ????

Sas

Michael Day

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi Sas

Joined the Royal Navy after working on the Silver Jubilee show in the Home park, then had work at the park whilst on leave. Been a copper since the mid 80's and am now training and working police dogs..........in the Windsor area of all places!!

Mick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic