Saber tooth tiger

This forum is purely for ex-workers of Windsor Safari Park. Messages like "Where is Jess?" or anything just for other ex-WSFP workers. Anybody can READ this forum but only ex-workers can write here.

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Saber tooth tiger

Post by BRIGHTON121 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I would really like to know if this really happened! It's in reference to the cave man and the fiberglass Saber tooth tiger.One night of mischief the cave man was taken from his home around the dinosaurs dressed in a ranger outfit and placed in the squat position on the main park road with his trousers around his ankle. he was facing the saber tooth tiger at the time!!! I know this happened but I would really like it confirmed to show I have not lost all my marbles :roll:

I await a good reply!!
All the best Lee.

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re: Saber tooth tiger

Post by Berni » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:05 pm

BRIGHTON121 wrote:Hello everyone,

I would really like to know if this really happened! It's in reference to the cave man and the fiberglass Saber tooth tiger.One night of mischief the cave man was taken from his home around the dinosaurs dressed in a ranger outfit and placed in the squat position on the main park road with his trousers around his ankle. he was facing the saber tooth tiger at the time!!! I know this happened but I would really like it confirmed to show I have not lost all my marbles :roll:

I await a good reply!!
All the best Lee.
I remember that - wasnt that Bruce and Rob Still who arranged for that little outing for the cave man
Berni - left WSP in 1980 ish

Saber tooth

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:31 pm

O Berni!!!

I should have known you would have remembered this if it happened. Yes you are right Rob ( he left to start a position at Woburn with the elephants?) and Bruce. I must tell everyone reading this that we did work hard at WSP and respected our charges,it might not seem like it reading what went on while we were there :lol: :lol: Work hard play hard!!

Nice to hear fromyou again.
Lee.

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re: Saber tooth

Post by Berni » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Anonymous wrote:O Berni!!!

I should have known you would have remembered this if it happened. Yes you are right Rob ( he left to start a position at Woburn with the elephants?) and Bruce. I must tell everyone reading this that we did work hard at WSP and respected our charges,it might not seem like it reading what went on while we were there :lol: :lol: Work hard play hard!!

Nice to hear fromyou again.
Lee.
yep thats me - memory like an elephant - Rob was living in Windsor till recently - his son used to play footy in a team which my sons team used to lose against lots. - My boy is now an ice skater - not a bad one either, Of course we did a lot of work - but you work hard you also get to play hard, and sometimes we needed it - remembering when Snappy died and how totally p1ssed we all got (and I was only about 14 at the time).

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:15 am

hi again all, yes I remember the saber tooth story(s) first one was when some one ? moved the plastic beast next to the road which was a fun prank. but better than this dose anyone remember the poor plastic tigers demise? a couple from Denmark called Elisabet and Last worked at the park. I remember that Lisabeth was the animal nutritionist. they went on holiday. and while away the new plastic dinosaurs where delivered and dotted around the park. Liz and Last came back and on Lars's first night back Last went out shooting (Rats?) he ended up in what later became the nature walk and had no idea that the Tiger was waiting for him in the wood. in the halve light he mistook it for a real Tiger and shot it and ran to the bars very agitated shouting to the rest of us that a Tiger had escaped. there was a grate to do until we all figged out what had relay happened.

the second story was when I believe Bruce Walton and others nicked the plastic cave man, dressed it in a cooks uniform, check trousers, white top and a white hat. they then hung it by its neck on a tree branch over the road on south hill. in the morning Nick Walters the park manager (I wonder what happened to him?) drove his jag up the hill, saw the cave man, thought it was real. and crashed his jag in the wall leaving a big scrape down one side. there was hell to play but no one admitted to it and those that know went telling.

BE HAPPY TEZ.

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Post by BRIGHTON121 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:54 am

tez bobrowicz wrote:hi again all, yes I remember the saber tooth story(s) first one was when some one ? moved the plastic beast next to the road which was a fun prank. but better than this dose anyone remember the poor plastic tigers demise? a couple from Denmark called Elisabet and Last worked at the park. I remember that Lisabeth was the animal nutritionist. they went on holiday. and while away the new plastic dinosaurs where delivered and dotted around the park. Liz and Last came back and on Lars's first night back Last went out shooting (Rats?) he ended up in what later became the nature walk and had no idea that the Tiger was waiting for him in the wood. in the halve light he mistook it for a real Tiger and shot it and ran to the bars very agitated shouting to the rest of us that a Tiger had escaped. there was a grate to do until we all figged out what had relay happened.

the second story was when I believe Bruce Walton and others nicked the plastic cave man, dressed it in a cooks uniform, check trousers, white top and a white hat. they then hung it by its neck on a tree branch over the road on south hill. in the morning Nick Walters the park manager (I wonder what happened to him?) drove his jag up the hill, saw the cave man, thought it was real. and crashed his jag in the wall leaving a big scrape down one side. there was hell to play but no one admitted to it and those that know went telling.

BE HAPPY TEZ.
Those were the day's my friend,I thought they would never end :cry:

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Berni » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:48 pm

[quote="BRIGHTON121

Those were the day's my friend,I thought they would never end :cry:[/quote]

They didnt end they just changed a bit we all grew up and moved on but apparently we all managed to keep a little bit of the park in our hearts which will keep it alive..............

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:07 pm

well said Berni, you captured the moment, have you read the poem on the GRAND HALL page. I had it published in the 90's. one of many......

"House on the hill"

Do you remember a house that stands on a hill,
with a room and a view, I remember it still,
where the friends that we had lived life with a will,
and our days with sweet wine we all seemed to fill.

Remember the view of the valley below,
the warm summer wind, the cold winter snow,
no room to pretend, no reason for show,
we all knew our lives and the way they would go.

Our days they all moved at a much slower place,
We all sung our songs in that broken down place,
The anger, the love, how it made our hearts race,
But always a word and a smile on a face.

Our loves and our losses we all seemed to care,
The joy and the heartache, each willing to share,
Each moment of strength, each moment of flair,
We lived through it all, those moments so rare.

Remember the days when living was fine,
Between wisdom and madness we walked a fine line,
Just living our lives without reason nor rhyme,
With no thought for the future, no thought for the time,

Remember my friends, walls rose covered gay,
The cold winter night, the long summer day,
Remember life's games and how hard we could play,
In that place where we lived, before we all moved away.

Terry Bobrowicz. 1976.

mind you I think I have a better one than that entitled "SOLDERS OF NATURE" I managed to get that one published twice. I won't post it now for fear of being boring. but if any one is interested I will.

Be happy. old Friends, be happy. tez.

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Berni » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:36 am

Tez

That is beautiful - please post the other one.

I have one which Liz wrote after she left - I am trying to find it - unfortunately it is not as lovely as your one and is intended as more light hearted and amusing, I will look for it once I finish my exams this weekend and will post it.

I dont have a poetic bone in my body but I do appreciate other peoples.

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Post by BRIGHTON121 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:11 am

tez bobrowicz wrote:well said Berni, you captured the moment, have you read the poem on the GRAND HALL page. I had it published in the 90's. one of many......

"House on the hill"

Do you remember a house that stands on a hill,
with a room and a view, I remember it still,
where the friends that we had lived life with a will,
and our days with sweet wine we all seemed to fill.

Remember the view of the valley below,
the warm summer wind, the cold winter snow,
no room to pretend, no reason for show,
we all knew our lives and the way they would go.

Our days they all moved at a much slower place,
We all sung our songs in that broken down place,
The anger, the love, how it made our hearts race,
But always a word and a smile on a face.

Our loves and our losses we all seemed to care,
The joy and the heartache, each willing to share,
Each moment of strength, each moment of flair,
We lived through it all, those moments so rare.

Remember the days when living was fine,
Between wisdom and madness we walked a fine line,
Just living our lives without reason nor rhyme,
With no thought for the future, no thought for the time,

Remember my friends, walls rose covered gay,
The cold winter night, the long summer day,
Remember life's games and how hard we could play,
In that place where we lived, before we all moved away.

Terry Bobrowicz. 1976.

mind you I think I have a better one than that entitled "SOLDERS OF NATURE" I managed to get that one published twice. I won't post it now for fear of being boring. but if any one is interested I will.

Be happy. old Friends, be happy. tez.
Hello Tez,

Very nicely composed. I did read it on the GRAND HALL page.

Thank you.
Lee.

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Post by BRIGHTON121 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 am

Berni wrote:Tez

That is beautiful - please post the other one.

I have one which Liz wrote after she left - I am trying to find it - unfortunately it is not as lovely as your one and is intended as more light hearted and amusing, I will look for it once I finish my exams this weekend and will post it.

I dont have a poetic bone in my body but I do appreciate other peoples.

I second that! (please post the other one). My bones are not that much poetic either :!:

All the best.
Lee.

Lee.

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:22 am

Wow! Thanks for the encouragement you guy's. As no one seemed to post anything for a while, I was beginning to think I had frighted every one away? I wrote "House on the hill" for Paul Vodden, back in 76, and "Soldiers of Nature" was written in 82, soon after Comp, (Simmon) got killed. it's main purpose was an anthem, oded to animal keepers everywhere. hope you like it. Both, along with others where published in 97 by Arrival Press. They have a web page which sells the book's, but I am not getting the royalties that I should have.

Berni, please post your poem too, I would love to see it, may be you could post it on the Grand Hall page, (I wonder why it is called that?)

Lee, you used to sweet talk all the lady's back then, so I don't buy the idea that you where/are not a romantic.

Soldier’s of Nature.

They work and drink and fight this breed,
To death and danger pay no heed,
With pride each man he stands in line,
The un-named heroes of our time.

Their quest to see the eagle fly,
In it’s kingdom high of sky,
To see the lion walking free,
To love the whale and let it be.

They ease the fall of mother nature,
And make her glory even greater,
The sleepless nights the endless days,
To their kind none sing their praise.

They carry scares some deep and raw,
Some give their life by tiger’s paw,
Their tears and blood they give with pride,
Their heads held high on nature’s side.

The broken heart’s on seeing death,
The joy of helping life’s first breath,
Aching arm’s at end of day,
Reward of heart their only pay.

Strength of heart guide’s them, every one,
Un-tiring labour never done,
To living glory they make their stand,
To keep this Earth as nature planed.

They give their lives to living kind,
These un-named hero’s of our time,

Well that enough for this post, from this old codger. Let me know what you think (even the bad, I can take it.) and let's see some of your work too.

be happy old luv's. Tez.

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Berni » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:36 pm

tez bobrowicz wrote:Wow! Thanks for the encouragement you guy's. As no one seemed to post anything for a while, I was beginning to think I had frighted every one away? I wrote "House on the hill" for Paul Vodden, back in 76, and "Soldiers of Nature" was written in 82, soon after Comp, (Simmon) got killed. it's main purpose was an anthem, oded to animal keepers everywhere. hope you like it. Both, along with others where published in 97 by Arrival Press. They have a web page which sells the book's, but I am not getting the royalties that I should have.

Berni, please post your poem too, I would love to see it, may be you could post it on the Grand Hall page, (I wonder why it is called that?)

Lee, you used to sweet talk all the lady's back then, so I don't buy the idea that you where/are not a romantic.

Soldier’s of Nature.

They work and drink and fight this breed,
To death and danger pay no heed,

Their quest to see the eagle fly,
In it’s kingdom high of sky,
To see the lion walking free,
To love the whale and let it be.

They ease the fall of mother nature,
And make her glory even greater,
The sleepless nights the endless days,
To their kind none sing their praise.

They carry scares some deep and raw,
Some give their life by tiger’s paw,
Their tears and blood they give with pride,
Their heads held high on nature’s side.

The broken heart’s on seeing death,
The joy of helping life’s first breath,
Aching arm’s at end of day,
Reward of heart their only pay.

Strength of heart guide’s them, every one,
Un-tiring labour never done,
To living glory they make their stand,
To keep this Earth as nature planed.

They give their lives to living kind,
These un-named hero’s of our time,

Well that enough for this post, from this old codger. Let me know what you think (even the bad, I can take it.) and let's see some of your work too.

be happy old luv's. Tez.
Terry

You are seriously talented - write a book about the time at WSP, include the poems this is wonderful - you have a talent, you should use it.
Thanks, this poem is very moving, I can see Simon in my minds eye as I read it - bless him.
Thankyou........

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi Berni, thank you for the encouragement, I have several unfinished chapters of a book I have been trying to wright for 30 years, I keep coming back to it but some how I keep getting distracted. seems a shame not to let the rest of the world what a special time and place for all of us it was. one day maybe? I have had a dozen or so poems published but there are about 250 in my folder, I just don't get enough time some how. thanks again for the lift, take care and remeber.............

be happy (it's important).

tez.

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re:

Post by Martin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 am

tez bobrowicz wrote:hi again all, yes I remember the saber tooth story(s) first one was when some one ? moved the plastic beast next to the road which was a fun prank. but better than this dose anyone remember the poor plastic tigers demise? a couple from Denmark called Elisabet and Last worked at the park. I remember that Lisabeth was the animal nutritionist. they went on holiday. and while away the new plastic dinosaurs where delivered and dotted around the park. Liz and Last came back and on Lars's first night back Last went out shooting (Rats?) he ended up in what later became the nature walk and had no idea that the Tiger was waiting for him in the wood. in the halve light he mistook it for a real Tiger and shot it and ran to the bars very agitated shouting to the rest of us that a Tiger had escaped. there was a grate to do until we all figged out what had relay happened.

BE HAPPY TEZ.
Hi all,
I would like to confirm at least one of the above stories, because it was me (Martin, Jan 1977 - March 1980) who was one of the guilty parties! Don't remember which year but is was when Nick Walters was GM, so obviously after the Smart era and also after the Maurice Vass debacle. It was a bank holiday weekend though.
Bruce and I returned from a night on the town and decided to play a prank with the sabre toothed tiger and the cavemen. (It wasn't Robbie Still...... he was probably tucked up with the latest Tavares album!) We hung the standing caveman (by the neck until dead!), as Tez says, from a branch directly overhanging the back road coming up the hill toward the restaurant..... the tree was where the 2 banks lining the road were reinforced with a stone wall. Unfortunately the sight caused Nick's car and the stone wall to kinda collide!
The crouching caveman we placed on the flat facade roof of the reptile house....... he stayed there (remember, bank holiday weekend!!) most of the day until Abdulluh, or was it Les, brought him down!
However, the funniest thing (for me 'n' Bruce) was we placed the sabre toothed tiger crouching half in half out of the nettles just at the exit of the cheetah reserve lock gate....... the one all the cat boys first entered every morning going to work!! Aparently Mushtie and Gunner sh*t themselves!!
And that, Ladies and Gentleman, was BY NO MEANS the only prank we ever played at that wonderful place!
:lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic