Can Dolphinariums make a comeback in the UK?

Shoot the breeze with other safari members in here, talk about anything you like but remember, we're friendly, not fire breathing.

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Can Dolphinariums make a comeback in the UK?

Post by Paul Scott » Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi all,

I recently did a quick google search and found an interesting article from last year. Basically, a businessmn has asked for permission to bring over dolphins for a new dolphinarium he planned to build. Immediately the animal rights groups condemned the businessman and his plan and pretty much scared off any support he had. The story subsequently died off and nothing else was heard from it. But it got me thinking:

Would it be possible to bring back dolphinariums in the UK? I started doing a bit of basic research on dolphinariums in general and looked at photos from the old UK days and from the current worldwide dolphinariums. As my starting point I found a copy of the report written by Dr Klinowski that sounded the death knell for UK dolphinariums. To paraphrase and condense it ( and generally simplify it ) it said that ALL of the dolphin pools in the UK at the time (late 80's) were way too small (and I don't think anyone here would argue?) and needed to be significantly upgraded. There was no suggestion that the animals were upset, ill or in any way mistreated. It did point out that killer whales did die a lot earlier than in the wild but it also pointed out that dolphins lived to the same age as in the wild. It finally came to the conclusion that dolphinariums SHOULD continue in the UK for educational reasons.

I have visited a couple of old dolphin pools that are still in use (Knowsley, Dudley, Flamingoland) for sealions, and I have to admit that they are quite small. Having looked at the excellent facilities at Hardewijk and in the US I wonder if someone with the money and the balls could ever pull it off here. Obviously they would have to ignore the animal rights people and prove them wrong, but could it be done?

What do you think?
Many thanks,Paul.

falkor
plague
plague

Re: Can Dolphinariums make a comeback in the UK?

Post by falkor » Sun May 08, 2011 7:06 am

I wonder if someone with the money and the balls could ever .......
if someone with the money (£40m) and the balls had surfaced in 1992 WSP (and it's parent company) would have been saved

people with money like to invest in stocks and shares

or gold (requires no balls)

not safari parks or dolphinariums :oops: (which are a huge risk as Themes International found out!)

BUT I think we are all with you on this one Paul, SEAWORLD WSP always boasted 1 million gallons of water - that they transmitted over the loudspeakers twice a performance

how do Knowsley, Dudley, Flamingoland compare sizewise to our old WSP Seaworld?

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Can Dolphinariums make a comeback in the UK?

Post by Sas » Wed May 11, 2011 8:39 am

If it did happen and I for one would love to see them back in the Uk it would have to be built to the US Speck and 2 to 3 times the size of WSP Pool size, it sure would be good to see a state of the art facilite for Dolphins and whales in the UK.
we live in hope.
Regards
Sas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic