The 50 best movie robots

Shoot the breeze with other safari members in here, talk about anything you like but remember, we're friendly, not fire breathing.

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

falkor
plague
plague

The 50 best movie robots

Post by falkor » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:45 pm

July 25, 2007

The 50 best movie robots
Image I loved the abc warrior in Judge Dredd, it looked really huge and menacing but on the other hand it seemed to me that with the right "master" it could be a very gentle kind "person" if you know what I mean :wink:
  • 10: The Sentinels (X-Men 3)
    In the third and perhaps final X-Men movie, the fan favourites are inserted in a 'virtual reality' cameo role.

Plausibility:9 Coolness:9 Dangerousness:10 Comedy Value:0
  • 9: Sonny (I-Robot)
    Detective: "Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?"
    Sonny: "Can you?"

Plausibility: 7 Coolness: 7 Dangerousness:7 Comedy Value:7
  • 8: Evil Bill & Ted (Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey )
    "Okay, dudes... oh I mean fellow policemen. my son Ted Theodore Logan, and his friend Bill S. Preston ESQ. have been murdered and replaced by evil robots from the future"

Plausibility:0 Coolness:9 Dangerousness:9 Comedy Value:9
  • 7: ABC Warriors (Judge Dredd)
    "Status? Commander? Mission?"

Plausibility: 8 Coolness: 9 Dangerousness: 8 Comedy Value: 3
  • 6: Swarms of robot spiders (Lost In Space)
    The spiders are nameless aggressors, but the robot in the original series did have a (rarely-mentioned) name: in the third-season of the parent TV show it was shown in its packing crate, and the crate was labelled "ONE General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental ROBOT" with the G, U, N, T, E, and all letters in "ROBOT" in red capital letters, while all the other letters were black; suggesting the acronym "GUNTER"

Plausibility: 9 Coolness: 10 Dangerousness: 10 Comedy Value: 0
  • 5: ED 209 (Robocop)
    "Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply"

Plausibility: 9 Coolness:9 Dangerousness:10 Comedy Value:1
wikipidea wrote:Aboard the spaceship Discovery One are the mission pilots, astronauts Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea) and Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood), and three scientists "sleeping" in cryogenic hibernation. The astronauts have a mundane daily life on board the spacecraft: ship maintenance and operations, physical exercise, eating, sleeping, receiving birthday greetings from home, playing chess and even sketching. The crew watches a BBC television program about themselves, in which the "sixth member" of the crew, the HAL 9000 supercomputer (Douglas Rain), is introduced and interviewed. The interview reveals that though the supercomputer is the pinnacle in artificial machine intelligence, with a remarkable, error-free performance record, it is designed to communicate and interact like a human, and even mimics (or reproduces) human emotions, and in fact the astronauts have quickly learned to treat it like another crewman, addressing it as "Hal".
Love that HAL 9000 computer :P
  • 4: SID 6.7 (Virtuosity)
    "Just because I'm carrying the joy of killing your family inside me doesn't mean we can't be friends"

Plausibility: 10 Coolness: 10 Dangerousness: 10 Comedy Value: 0
  • 3:Kitt (Knight Rider)
    David Hasselhoff and William Daniels (voice of K.I.T.T.) first met at a Christmas party six months after 'Knight Rider' first started shooting.

Plausibility: 10 Coolness: 8 Dangerousness: 6 Comedy Value: 8
  • 2: HAL9000 (2001, A Space Odyssey)
    "I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen"

Plausibility: 10 Coolness: 8 Dangerousness: 10 Comedy Value: 5
  • 1: Terminator Series 800/Model 101 (The Terminator)
    O.J. Simpson was considered for the role of the Terminator, but the producers thought he might be "too nice" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer

Plausibility:5 Coolness: 11 Dangerousness: 10 Comedy Value: 9
The 50 best movie robots
"Status? Commander? Mission?"

stuart thomas
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by stuart thomas » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Ok there are some really cool ones in the above list but cast your mind back (or google it if you can't remember) to 1979 and the classic film The Black Hole. Anthony Perkins (Psycho/Glory Boys) and Ernest Borgnine (Poseidon Adventure/Airwolf) and the rest of the crew of the spaceship Palamino discover the vessel the U.S.S. Cygnus. The only human onboard is the scatty scientist Dr Reinhardt who is planning to travel through the black hole that looms closeby.
Anyhoo, getting back to the robots, yer man Reinhardt has built himself a bodtguard in the form of Maximilian, a kin big red monster of a robot who can beat most foes with one swipe of his spinning blade hand thingys???
Then the good guys, the Palaminos robot V.I.N.Cent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized) voiced by Roddy McDowall (Planet of the Apes/A Bug's Life) who teams up with a beaten up old prototype of himself Old Bob voiced by Slim Pickens (Dr Strangelove/Blazing Saddles) to save the day.
Ahh the wonder years of the 1970's, it explains aolt really!!!!
The beauty of my youth has gone...but the chemicals remain!

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Stuart I'm with you all the way old buddy ...... AND SO ARE THEY!!!!

:arrow: at 26: Max (The Black Hole)

The robot name "V.I.N.CENT" is supposed to be an acronym of "Vital Information Necessary CENTralized". B.O.B.'s name stands for "BiO-sanitation Battalion," while S.T.A.R.'s is an acronym for "Special Troops/Arms Regiment. No-one knows what Max stands for.

Plausibility:4 Coolness:5 Dangerousness:9 Comedy Value:4

stuart thomas
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by stuart thomas » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 pm

could be wrong Malc but may have been the name of Dr Reinhardts dead son???? Gonna have to get a copy, now look what you've done. The mrs'll never get any sense out of me!! :shock:

gunners beeehotch
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by gunners beeehotch » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:09 pm

knackers!!!!!!!!!!!

the mash get smash robots
metal mickey
7 zark 7 from battle of the planets
president bush
ig-88
nookie bear
oh sod it im bored!!!!!!

oi MT what was that film you were in im trying to get hold of it??????

stuart thomas
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by stuart thomas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:01 pm

its called "Split Second"starring me and some geeza called Rutger Hauer, but J don't blink coz i'm only in it for as the title says a split second!!!

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Another robot

Post by Paul Scott » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:35 am

Hey guys what about the Mark 13 robot from Hardware? Great tagline to the film: It Reactivates, It Exhilirates . . . It Exterminates.
If I gave MY girlfriend the head of a faulty robot who was designed to kill everything in its path she would probably kill me!
Many thanks,Paul.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic