anybody OVER 40? who remembers DANDY comics?

Shoot the breeze with other safari members in here, talk about anything you like but remember, we're friendly, not fire breathing.

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

falkor
plague
plague

anybody OVER 40? who remembers DANDY comics?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Wednesday, 15 November 2006
Race complaint over Dandy reprint

Publishing giant DC Thomson has been criticised after it reprinted a 1939 annual which contained racist references to black people.
A reader condemned the inclusion of a comic strip from the original 1939 Dandy annual which included a term deemed unacceptable in modern society.

The issue has led to calls for the withdrawal of the "facsimile" publication from sale.

Dundee-based DC Thomson said it would be unfair to tamper with the reprint.

The row blew up after Winston Walker, who lives in the city, said he was left disgusted after buying the publication for a friend.

He was left feeling upset by one story strip which featured blacked-up minstrels and the liberal use of a word considered highly offensive in modern day multicultural society.

Mr Walker said: "I found the material very offensive, the wording and the amount of times the word 'nigger' was used.

"When you're trying to promote in Scotland that there's no place for racism, putting out literature like this is total hypocrisy."

The Glasgow Anti-Racist Alliance (Gara) called for the annual, which has been distributed to shops ahead of Christmas, to be removed from bookstores.

"This kind of thing cannot be permitted with ease at this point in our development as a society," said Gara spokeswoman Anita Shelton.

"It is an outrage and is terribly disturbing."

Facsimile copy'

However, DC Thomson said the annual was "of its time" and it would not have published the word in the Dandy of today.

"It is a true facsimile copy and we don't feel it is something we should edit," a spokesman said.

The view was echoed by Dundee-based comic expert Douglas Hill, who said it was not right to apply 21st Century values to work from the 1930s.

He said: "The people who want to buy these annuals probably had them at the time."

The Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) said it had not received any complaints about the annual.

"We should celebrate the fact that we live in a time where such ideas around race are no longer seen as appropriate and our society does not condone this kind of language," said a spokeswoman.

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Over 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Yes Falkor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am over 40 and remember Dandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for making my weekend!! : )

I will now return to my plaid armchair recliner for my afternoon nap!!!

See ya!!

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re: Over 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:06 pm

BRIGHTON121 wrote:Yes Falkor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am over 40 and remember Dandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for making my weekend!! : )

I will now return to my plaid armchair recliner for my afternoon nap!!!

See ya!!
I too am over 40 and fondly remember the Dandy - this is a load of rubbish about the racist comments - we are now becoming tooo PC.
IMHO of course
Berni - left WSP in 1980 ish

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic