Sad Demise Of A Living Legend

Shoot the breeze with other safari members in here, talk about anything you like but remember, we're friendly, not fire breathing.

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

Prue Halliwell

Sad Demise Of A Living Legend

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:21 pm

:( Gutted...that's how I felt early this morning when hearing on the morning's breakfast news, that the irrepressible and irreplaceable Steve Irwin had been tragically killed in a diving accident after being stung in the heart by a stingray of all things.

What can you say about this larger than life character? SO MUCH...because in his all too brief 44 years he probably did more than any other wildlife presenter to bring awareness to the world the need for conservation and how we all have a duty to do our bit, and SHARE this planet with the wonderful and diverse (if at times deadly) creatures we live and sometimes interact with. This man lived his life to the full in a most spectactular way...definitely controversial at times, his boyish enthusiasm perhaps now and then pushing the safety valve to the limit.
But at least he lived. He lived and loved what he did and inspired people to look at certain creatures less popular than the cuddly koala in a different way, and respect them for what they are.

Steve you have left a wonderful legacy. Your sudden and tragic early demise will not be overshadowed by what you achieved during your lifetime. My deepest hearfelt sympathies go out to Terri, little Bob and Bindi and all the staff at Australia Zoo who were indeed priviledged to have known and worked with the living legend that was Steve Irwin.

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Very sad

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Indeed a very sad day!

I am sure many on this board can say " and there for the grace of God go I" This was very bad luck. Many who have worked and those who continue to work close with dangerous animals have their story to tell where luck was on their side .
I believe his good work will continue from all who worked with him.

Lee

falkor
plague
plague

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Image what a life he had

Image all sins forgiven now Steve :cry:

Image :cry: the legend that was
Steve Irwin

Rickles
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:21 pm

Its another sad loss to our world.

No matter what anyone thought of him he was first and foremost an 'Animal Man'.

RIP Steve.
Rickles

Port Macquarie

Australia

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:31 am

Rickles wrote:Its another sad loss to our world.

No matter what anyone thought of him he was first and foremost an 'Animal Man'.

RIP Steve.
Bless him, I feel for his wife and kiddlies,
He pushed his luck now and then, but noone deserves to go like that.
RIP Steve.
Berni - left WSP in 1980 ish

falkor
plague
plague

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:08 am

I so agree Berni :wink:

Midland tributes to Crocodile Hunter
Sep 5 2006

By Emma Cullwick

STAFF at a Midland safari park have today paid tribute to Australian television personality Steve Irwin who was killed by a stingray barb.

The 44-year-old larger-than-life animal enthusiast, known across the globe as the Crocodile Hunter, died yesterday while filming a new television series on the Great Barrier Reef.

Wardens and animal keepers at West Midlands Safari Park, in Bewdley, Worcestershire, today spoke of their shock following the news of his death.

"Although Steve didn't do any work with us, he was greatly respected by everyone here," said Wendy Jackson, a spokeswoman for the park.

"He was a brave and courageous man and a great ambassador for the world of wildlife.

"We will all sadly miss him and our thoughts are with his wife and family at this very distressing time."

Irwin, a married dad-of-two, became one of the few wildlife presenters to conquer America with his catchphrase "Crikey!".

Tributes have been paid by figures ranging from Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard, to British wildlife expert David Bellamy.

Mr Howard, whom Irwin once lauded as the world's greatest leader, said: "I am quite shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death. It's a huge loss to Australia.

"He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation said Irwin was diving near Low Isle, 1,200 miles north of Brisbane, when the incident happened.

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:20 pm

Australia Zoo and Wildlife Warriors Worldwide are today in mourning for a beloved friend and respected leader. The global response to the loss of Steve Irwin and the public outpouring of empathy we have received has been overwhelming, and a significant comfort to those of us who knew him. This is not just a loss for us, but for a planet full of people who loved him so well, and for the world’s precious wildlife that he laid his life on the line to protect.

Steve was a true original; he brought energy and passion to everything he did. Whether it was performing groundbreaking crocodile research on board his vessel Croc One, filming wildlife documentaries or simply celebrating his children’s birthdays, Steve didn’t do anything by half. A hard-core Wildlife Warrior and dedicated family man, Steve did for conservation and education what no one had ever done before. He brought wildlife conservation right into people’s living rooms and created a whole new generation of Wildlife Warriors.

The exceptional life Steve led is a testament to his respect for all creatures great and small, and his passion for wildlife was matched only by his passion for family life.

We here at Australia Zoo offer our heartfelt thanks on behalf of the Irwin family for your condolences and kind words. Many people have expressed a desire to donate to Wildlife Warriors Worldwide in memory of Steve. All donations will be greatly appreciated and applied directly to saving animals in the wild. Steve’s legacy will live on in the continuation of his life’s work.

Something i thought should be shared for all.
"Clubby"

Prue Halliwell

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:22 pm

:? I've just returned from a much needed holiday in Weymouth as I've been rather unwell the past year. One reason I haven't been accessing the net much these days and was sadly unable to attend the member's meet up at Windsor recently. I didn't have any access (or the inclination in all honesty) to access the net whilst on holiday. But I was made aware via the media of the distressing news that some nut in Australia or plural, nuts have been killing stingrays and muitilating them by cutting off their tails to apparently avenge poor Steve's tragic death! Jesus! I was absolutely sickened when I heard this outrageous news item and won't vent in full my disgust on this forum as it's a family site.
As if Terri Irwin doesn't have enough to deal with right now and then I hear today that YOU tube and other sites have apparently got some spoof video parodies of Steve Irwin in his role as the Crocodile Hunter. A few were posted prior to his death, but it is still in my view in very poor taste with the recent events surrounding the Irwin family. These video web sites should moniter the video uploads a bit more closely and remove any offensive clips. Also I've just become aware of an online game concerning stingray revenge, which I won't elaborate on but condemn most heartily!

I never met steve Irwin...but his death like so many animal enthusiasts around the world touched me deeply. He was too young to be taken so soon and had so much left to offer the world of conservation.

I visited the wonderful SEA-LIFE centre when I was in Weymouth, and was enthralled with the beautiful marine life on view there, including a pool of inquisitive and gentle Rays. I thought of Steve Irwin as I gazed at these amazing animals and what a tragedy it was he should have lost his life in such a freak manner... as this is what his untimely death was. A tragic accident and I sincerely hope the jerks responsible for the wicked slaughter of these creatures are caught and dealt with accordingly and EDUCATED as part of their sentence.
By a strange coincidence I was watching a morning breakfast news item with the British Wildlife presenter Chris Packham last week being interviewed, concerning his reaction to the Steve Iriwn's passing and life.
I was rather disappointed with his commentary and thought the quip at the end rather unkind and even a bit sarcastic, when he said that if someone was waving a tin around collecting money for croc conservation and people put some money in it, then Steve Irwin would have achieved what he set out to do. Ahemmm... :shock:

Then I was walking along Weymouth seafront yesterday afternoon lost in thought about Steve Irwin and his incredible life in Oz (compared to mine it WAS out of this world) :wink: ....then lo and behold who do I make eye contact with being filmed and interviewed right in front of me totally out of the blue....CHRIS PACKHAM! I was very tempted to go over and have a chat with him, and if I hadn't been feeling so unwell with an impending migraine I would have liked to have questioned him about his comments regarding Steve Irwin last week.

He is a great loss not least to his family, but I don't think Steve died in vain. His memory and legacy will almost certainly LIVE ON!

http://www.sealifeeurope.com

falkor
plague
plague

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Australia stands still for Steve Irwin's memorial
Roger Maynard in Sydney
Thursday September 21, 2006
The Guardian

There was never any doubt that it was going to be a quintessentially Australian experience, and Steve Irwin's memorial service did not disappoint.

Five thousand people watched it in person and an estimated 300 million around the world tuned into live television coverage of the emotional farewell to the crocodile hunter.

Irwin's beloved Crocoseum, where he would entertain the crowds with his mix of showmanship and larrikin charm, was no place for the strong and silent yesterday morning. Tough outback characters, mothers and children alike wept as the staff of Australia Zoo in Beerwah, Queensland, joined film stars and politicians to pay tribute to one of the most famous Aussies on the planet.

His death a fortnight ago at the age of 44 from a stingray's barb, which stabbed him in the heart as he filmed underwater near the Great Barrier Reef, produced an outpouring of sorrow some Australians compared to the reaction to the death of Princess Diana.
The grief was palpable as ordinary Australians gathered in shopping centres across the country to watch the service on large screens. Motorists parked their vehicles to listen in on the radio.

In the Crocoseum, Irwin's widow Terri, appearing in public for the first time since the tragedy, clutched her children, Bindi and Bob, in a protective embrace, but she could not bring herself to speak about her husband.

That duty fell to eight-year-old Bindi, who transfixed the crowd with a simple speech about "my daddy, my hero". Her finger following her script, she said: "I have the best daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day. When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals.

"I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end - I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did."

> more here <

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic