Hello from Cat girl.....

If you are joining this site, perhaps you would like to tell us all about yourself here, in as little or large a detail as you like!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

Breezy
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Hello from Cat girl.....

Post by Breezy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:56 am

:D Hello...Breezy here aka Pauline. Loved animals from an early age and I used to work in a childrens zoo as a keeper. Also was a kennel maid for a few weeks. I am interested in all animals, but have mainly just kept cats as pets, and usually adopt ones from animal shelters or take in strays. Like Paul on here a big wildlife fan as well, and I'm fortunate enough to have had a close encounter with a young tiger, two leopard cubs and a lion cub who was featured on a McDonalds tv ad a few years back. My two best friends from my time at the zoo were a little lamb called Wednesday, who was a runt and sadly didn't survive, and a pygmy goat called Alastair!

Animals I trust...everyone else has to earn it!

falkor
plague
plague

welcome Cat - Girl

Post by falkor » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:15 pm

Breezy I love cats too, they can be sooooo affectionate and sociable 8)

What happened with the young tigers and leopards? Did you handle them? Where was that?

Breezy
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Meeting big cat cubs

Post by Breezy » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:09 pm

:) Hi falkor..sorry for delay, a bit busy this weekend. Yes I did handle all the cubs (I use the term loosely!)...because the tiger and leopards were not that small and the leopards EXTREMELY lively. Kylie the lion cub was the youngest of the cubs and yes as you'd expect very cute! I'll tell you all more about this place and the animals another time ..ok as I'm running a bit late tonight. 8)
Last edited by Breezy on Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:42 pm

I did love seeing the big cats in WSFP, marvellous paddock they had too! I saw a top film once - back in the 1980s about this fella who had lions running about all over the place in/ outside his house [location Africa or similar .... out in the wild, his house was by a river and bush]

the lions were all over the place but as he "knew" these lions they did not attack him
I would love to see that film again - anybody know it ? The "bad lion" came back I seem to remember and caused real problems, the usual

Him and this other guy burst out of a garage on a motorbike buzzing through the lions - thinking about it now, I reckon they could have easily chased 'em

Breezy what do you think Kylie's up to nowadays? Do you think she's still around? :wink:

Breezy
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Tiger By The Tale

Post by Breezy » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:32 pm

:) Grrreeeetings falkor...yep she's back missing a few limbs..heh just kidding (just :lol:)...Big Cats Little Cats..don't ya just love em...my tubby retarded tom Domino has been sitting behind me on the bed alternating between yawning, griping and doing both activities at the SAME time! Yeah he's an entertaining little bloke if never the full quid.
But there I go digressing again...typical female.

SLEEPY HOLLOW ANIMAL FARM PARK...formerly a delighful semi wildlife park situated in the sleepy pretty Cotswold village of Blockley, in rural Gloucestershire. Home to Kylie the female lion cub, a couple of adult Tigers and Neeka the 8 month old tigress I was also privileged to meet with two leopard cubs Ranni and Ophelia, also home to a Jaguar called Mona, a puma and a wolf and some domesticated stock. The aim and hope of Sleepy Hollow was to have a breeding programme for endangered big cats, in particular focusing on the tiger. Various fund raising projects were in place when I first visited this park in 1997 and had a close encounter with Rannia and Ophelia, which was a birthday present from my other half. There was a fee charged for the 'cub encounters', all the money raised going towards building some large permanent enclosures for the big cats costing then something in the region of £25,000.
Unfortunately almost from the start there was strong opposition from a small group of local people, who objected to having big cats and this wildlife park on their doorstep. Repeated attempts by the owners of Sleepy Hollow Tim and Deborah Spittle for planning applications to build the cat's enclosures were turned down.
Things came to a head around 1999 and in September of that year the park owners decided to move the park and animals lock stock and barrel to a new location, and start over. Unfortunately they again encountered oppostion from local villagers, aided now by the intervention of an organisation called CAPPS....click on the following link:
http://www.captiveanimals.org/news/2000/victory.htm
Well I've read the article and as someone who went to three of the cub encounters and who visited Sleepy Hollow a few times over a two year period, I frankly think the reporting is biased and innacurate.
I'm all for captive animals being protected and their lives being made hopefully as comfortable and happy as is possible away from their natural environment. In an ideal world there wouldn't be any animals in captivity at all. Wildlife parks though have got to be a better solution than most zoos and small cages.
Re the cub encounters. well yes I did have close contact with all four of the cubs I met...because THEY chose to and I was quite happy to have them in close proximity being well aware at the same time, that yes, there will always be an element of risk in ANY encounter with ANY animal even a domestic cat! As it happens one of the leopards swiped me on the chin when I made the mistake of making TOO much EYE contact, and it was entirely MY own fault and I will be more careful in future. I had this pair of extremely lively cubs about the size of a spaniel on my lap as they decided for themselves to get up there. I was very lucky to meet Ranni and Ophelia when I did as with Neeka the tigress who was about the size of a large Golden Retriever, because they were rapidly approaching the age and size when it was too risky to have them interacting with strangers. The park staff were well aware of this and wouldn't risk public safety. Neeka the 8 month old tigress was very calm, but yes being a young animal, curious and a bit disobediant when she decided to jump up at my back where I was sitting on a bale of hay. She wanted to examine my hood as it was FREEZING that day and I was wearing a thick parka coat. I'll admit it was a bit hair raising for a minute having a tiger literally breathing down my neck being aware of course that this is how they would normally kill a human. At all times Neeka was on a strong chain....and at the other end of this chain was an equally strong and very experienced head keeper called Ian Gordon-Brander who was originally from Zimbabwe and had been brought up around big cats in the wild in his native Africa.
He like all the staff at Sleepy Hollow was passionate about the cats, and I'm quite certain that if any signs of stress had been apparent in the animals regarding them meeting people then the encounters would have been terminated. The public were NOT encouraged as reported in the CAPPS article to handle the cats....you were permitted to stroke them if the animal concerned wished you to and at all times Mr Gordon-Brander was closely monitering the animal in question and in control of the situation. As was the case with little Kylie the lion cub who was with another keeper the day I met her in the farmhouse kitchen, where she was being kept warm and housed indoors while the weather remained cold.
All the animals at Sleepy Hollow were well cared for and clearly happy. If I hadn't thought so, then I would not have supported the park in any way. I've no idea I'm afraid falkor what has happened to Kylie or any of the other animals at the park. I for one will never forget my close encounter with four truly magnificent and sadly endangered wild animals....
Last edited by Breezy on Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Roar

Post by Paul Scott » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:42 pm

Hi Falkor,

The film you remember is called Roar! and starred Hank Marshall, Tippi Hedren (who were married) and their children john and ??? Marshall and Melanie Griffith. Hank and Tippi later split up and Tippi now has her own sanctuary called Kimbala. Hank is a zoologist with an interest in big cats and has representatives of all the major species. It is probably the only place were lions and tigers regularly mate together.
The film took 11 years to finish and they lost over $20,000,000 on it due to floods and a virus that killed half of the lions. Hank still has the private reserve and the African man who was scared of the lions is actually the chief warden.
The two main lions in it were called Robbie and Togar and both were rogue lions who were captured and referred to the sanctuary before they were killed and were brothers. When you watch the film, you can see that they play, but don't attack each other.
In case you are wondering, YES I do have the film on video and I love it!!!
Many thanks,Paul.

Breezy
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Films

Post by Breezy » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:55 pm

:) Sorry Malcolm, I couldn't remember the movie title and wasn't sure if it was the one I was thinking of 'Roar'....I've got an Lp of this film actually with music and some dialogue from it.
A film I love and remember seeing on tv as a child about a lion was called King I think, and starred a young Pamela Franklin a 60's female child/teen star. It was filmed in Africa.

falkor
plague
plague

hey Breezy are you winking at me??

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:35 pm

well I read the CAPS site, boy are they on a holy crusade or what?

I must say I feel for Tim and Deborah Spittle - they must be totally cheesed by now. I would love to see more safari parks along the lines of WSFP set up, wouldn't you?

CAPS object to "animal encounters" on the grounds of "stress" and "safety" - well I can't argue the toss either way but I get the feeling that they are just on their own crusade and lovin' every minute of it

of course wwe don't want to see animals living in small confined spaces, but I think the spaces allowed to the majority of animals in safari parks that I have visited could not be reasonably described as "small confined"

talking of animal encounters - I had totally forgotten the magic moments from ROAR

Thanks so much Paul, I couldn't even remember THE NAME of the film, wow you HAVE TO check out this wicked site dedicated to that legend film, I have just watched every single clip on that site and it CONFIRMED to me what a brilliant movie it was AND that music that was written for it is excellent too, the ending credits music is the best of all, simply heaven

Imagecheck that master site for ROAR, wow - it has details of the ROAR DVD released only this year but regrettably ONLY IN NTSC :x

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Whatever!

Post by tiger1 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:20 pm

Roar!! How cool is that to sit among so many big cats. If i tried that with my Lions, (Which incidentally are decendants of the WSP Lions), i dont think i would be around long enough to tell anyone!! My Safari Park is pretty big and expanding for the new season. Cant tell you what's going on but watch this space, you will be thrilled. I have raised a few Lion cubs myself in the past and its an experience you never forget, bottle feeds every two hours, twenty four hours a day. Inducing the cubs to go to toilet. Cleaning up the mess when they have. Having your fingers and clothes chewed to pieces. Come to think of it, i wish i had forgotten it!! Only joking, its great fun and very rewarding.
"Clubby"

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by Paul Scott » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:12 pm

Wht a fantastic website. I knew the reserve ended in ALA! Shambala. that's it. Hank Marshall and Tippi Hedren were once interviewed on Blue Peter by Simon Groom in the early 80's. The clip normally gets shown on "Best Of" compilations, because as he is talking to Hank and Tippi Robbie enters and sits to be stroked, at the same time Togar comes around the side and takes Simon's hansd into his mouth. Heart stopping or what?
Many thanks,Paul.

Breezy
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Breezy » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:21 pm

:lol: Well I think we all agree here ROAR is a great movie, and we all love Big Cats...just managed to find and upload a picture taken of Neeka the tigress that I took on the day I met her. Here she is being very playful with Ian her keeper after she had been 'removed' from my neck! :lol: Actually before the end of my encounter with her, she was relaxed (or bored) enough to fall asleep beside me as did Kylie the little lion cub. So I can honestly say I for one detected no signs of stress or discomfort in my personal encounters with the young cats at Sleepy Hollow. Hopefully they have all now got cubs of their own, but I doubt they are roaming free around someone's house or bedroom the way Tippi Hedren's Big Cats do!! :wink:

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:49 pm

I invited John Marshall to join in with our chat but I guess he was a little to busy to do that, anyway here is what he said!!
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 11:12 PM
> > Subject: ROAR
The DVD from my website does play in England.
It also has some great stills and interviews with Tippi, me and others
Their (Amazon) information is wrong. They are supposedly correcting it. I prefer you buy it fro my site, though. More money goes to the animals. I am the one who shipped them to Amazon, so I would know. If it's Amazon UK, maybe they have only NTSC ones, but if that is true I'd love to know, because contractually, they can't.
I looked at what you wrote. That's great. Can you please correct the part about NTSC? The VHS is NTSC only, but the DVD plays everywhere.
Thanks for the kind words about ROAR.
John Marshall
hehe John Marshall there from the ROAR website top man John!! 8)

hey Breezy nice piccie of Neeka, she looks a real handful alright and straight out of ROAR even, yeah I agree with you - top movie indeed

I'd love to see it again and plan on getting the DVD real soon :P

falkor
plague
plague

DVD recording is awesome

Post by falkor » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:51 pm

ImageImageImage

wow I just got ROAR (DVD) through from John Marshall, it is a superb recording, crystal clear and in widescreen

hehe after 20 years it was just amazing to see again, a marvellous treat

the only disappointment was that Noel Marshall was sadly not around to be included in the interviews and that is quite a blow :cry: it would have been the icing on the cake to see him interviewed - never mind - the DVD is a MUST HAVE - you must see it, a fabulous accomplishment and of course there are very few films that are 20 years old that you can play and say "That could have been filmed this year!!!"

It just does not date, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, top work and thanks to John Marshall for mailing it too, WH SMITH were hopeless

MagicHippy

Where are they now?

Post by MagicHippy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:30 am

I went to Sleepy Hollow several years ago. Whilst it's always a bit of a shame to see such glorious creatures in captivity, all the animals there seemed happy and healthy with caring people looking after them.
I've come to this page in my searching for Sleepy Hollow in the hope of visiting again. Does anyone know whether they are still in existence anywhere and if so, where?
Thanks.

used to be Breezy

Sleepy Hollow

Post by used to be Breezy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:16 pm

:) Hi Magic Hippy nice to have contact with someone else on here who has also actually visited Sleepy Hollow. This is my first visit to this web site in quite a long time, and I'm using a public computer so won't bother to attempt to log in with my former user name.

Sleepy Hollow closed down to strong continuing opposition from the locals.
The owners wanted to enlarge the big cats quarters and their repeated applications were refused.
The last I heard was that the owners of Sleepy Hollow wanted to open a much bigger wildlife park down in Devon but were thwarted again by strong opposition by local residents, who had visions of tigers and also bears roaming loose attacking villagers etc... :roll:
I'd personally be far more concerned about developers having plans to build a huge monstrous housing development near me. A far more likely scenario than man eating beasts on the loose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic