G'day! Charles (late 70s) Baboons here

If you are joining this site, perhaps you would like to tell us all about yourself here, in as little or large a detail as you like!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

Cad
ROOKIE CREW

G'day! Charles (late 70s) Baboons here

Post by Cad » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:10 pm

G'day all - Smithy finally won out and here I am. Really great to chat to some of the guys on Smithy's email the other day, Sas, Nigel, Steve H etc.

I worked with Eric Kempson in baboon reserve before getting ill, having an Op (for which Gary sacked me but got rehired once recovered - saved on the sickness payout...), returned to Reptile House - shortly after joined by Simon C-H after he fell from grace in the reserves.

Left to join London Zoo '80- '82 then to Marineland Cote d'Azur (with Bruce Walton) before chucking it all in and joining the Met Police in '86. Transferred to Essex and completed 20 years before moving to New Zealand. And here I am, the bug never left me and I'm back in Zoos, this time as curator at Auckland Zoo. Best job in the world!

Catch you later - it's 5.55am here and time to go to work

Cheers one and all

Charles Cadwallader

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: G'day! Charles (late 70s) Baboons here

Post by Sas » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:15 am

Hi Charles,
Great to hear from you Martin & Tez, make sure you get loads of photo's on here mate we need to see what your upto, it's like getting the Gang back together ha ha lol if we all worked back together in a Zoo we'd TRASH THE PLACE ha ha lol, have a great weekend gang and if any of you speak with Bruce or Doug ect.ect. get there arse's on here and say Hi from me

Best regards

Sas
Last edited by Sas on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:38 am

Hey Charles, good to see you on here!
They've been showing re-runs of the Auckland Zoo TV series here in Jolly Old Siam for a while now........ I love it how "ivirything is ixcillint"...... :mrgreen:

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Nice to hear from you old luv, and it's really good to have you on-board. Let's have some of your old gang memories and even better any pic's you might have of the old day's. Be happy old luv. Tez.

Cad
ROOKIE CREW

Post by Cad » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi Tez
Tried joining the old forums some years ago but, if I didn't use it for a few weeks, it unregistered me and I couldn't use the same email address to re-register!
Somewhere - though whether in NZ or Old Blighty - I do have a load of Royal Windsor Safari Park Photos. Mainly of the baboon reserve, Eric Kempson, Simon Compton-Hall and others, then the bloke who was shot in the eye and had blue powder marks all around it, the reptile house - Bob Woodward (he's on Friends Reunited by the way) stuff like that. Here's my old badge which may evoke a few memories, and perchance a tear or two:
WSP Badge 1.jpg
WSP Badge 1.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
I've sent a bunch of more modern pics to Sas via email - you have no idea how great it is to be back in the business after 20 years away! Being a guvnor I don't have to be in until 9 but am always there for 7 just mucking in. On the rare Sunday when I take my turn as OIC the Zoo (no paperwork!) I clean out the elephant barn and spend the rest of the day zookeepin'! I've repossessed the alligators and have written and present the show (fell in love with crocodilians at Royal Windsor Safari Park and never fell out again.) I reckon the guys here can't wait for me to take one step to many then they can have their alligator back.
Quentin Rose came to visit me in the UK a few weeks before he died. He was great. He had invented this amazing live catch trap which was going to make him a millionaire, well, rich anyway, and was a great mate. RIP Quent - you were the tops mate.

Wayne Reid, Kiwi Royal Windsor Safari Park education officer, lives in Christchurch in the South Island and we keep threatening to meet up so probably will one day. Steve Honnor is in Perth Zoo apparently and I'm trying to get in touch as I am in Sydney for a week's conference next week.

Hey, that's all for now Tez. Keep well. Best. Charles (PS After Martin's comments below I've edited all references to WSP to read Royal Windsor Safari Park!!)
Last edited by Cad on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Charles, you are the best! I love the way you are trying to keep the "Royal Windsor Safari Park" name going despite this forum's desire to call it 'WSP" etc etc......
Jes*s Chr**st folks, we were "Royal Windsor Safari ParK"..... please remember that!

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Sas » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 am

Morning All Sassy Big Boy Here Well I was out with an ex Royal Windsor Safari Park Employee lastnight Keith Greenwood he said to say hi to everyone, he told me his brother has had a Treple Hart Bypass last year and the bugger still won't give up Smoking and thats very sad, I lost a very sweet friend of mine Claire just 1 year ago to cancer and she was only 28 not good, anyway he also told me that he was working at the Zoo in Germany when Simon Compton Hall was killed, Keith came home after that and never got back to working with animals again, I will be seeing Keith and His Brother Dave next week if any one want's to pass anything on just let me know

Best regards

Sas
PS Nearly forgot Keith said he bumped in Mushtie in Morrisons in Bracknell he works there part time, they had a quick chat and that was that, I will pop down there and try and see him, I only know his first name of Alan any one remember his last name ?

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:39 am

Sas wrote:Morning All Sassy Big Boy Here Well I was out with an ex Royal Windsor Safari Park Employee lastnight Keith Greenwood he said to say hi to everyone, he told me his brother has had a Treple Hart Bypass last year and the bugger still won't give up Smoking and thats very sad, I lost a very sweet friend of mine Claire just 1 year ago to cancer and she was only 28 not good, anyway he also told me that he was working at the Zoo in Germany when Simon Compton Hall was killed, Keith came home after that and never got back to working with animals again, I will be seeing Keith and His Brother Dave next week if any one want's to pass anything on just let me know

Best regards

Sas
PS Nearly forgot Keith said he bumped in Mushtie in Morrisons in Bracknell he works there part time, they had a quick chat and that was that, I will pop down there and try and see him, I only know his first name of Alan any one remember his last name ?
Abso-bloody-lutely Sas! Please pass on my email address to Keith..... it'd be great to chat to him again!
Mushtie's surname is Thomas.
Cheers,
Martin.
Right, 5.30 Thai time ...... off for a beer!
Attachments
Off for a beer!.jpg
Off for a beer!.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:51 pm

I've been on this site for a few years now and could not believe how few of the "70's" crew there was. Now suddenly I cant keep up with the postings, thanks every one, It's hart warming to hear so many echos from the past. I though I was the only ex "ROYAL" Windsor Safari Park guy that cared. How wrong did I get that, then.

Martin... yes mate you are right we where proud of the ROYAL. I remember that the smarts wanted planing permission for something or other, and the council would only give it if we drooped the ROYAL. Miserable toffee nose git's or what.

Sas.... if you do have Keith Greenwood's Email address I would like it, as you may remember Me and Comp where soul mates, I never got to the truth about his death, or even where he's berried, hopefully enough water has flowed under that bridge by now, maybe we can talk about it now? after all he was a big part of the ROYAL Safari history, he's not here to make comment himself and we should remember he and SID payed the price we all feared to be an animal keeper.

I have nearly 500 photos of the park, but not one of SIMON or Sid if any one has any I truly would be very grateful to have copies.

write more later you lode of old buggers, be happy. Tez.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:48 am

Tez Mate,
But can you believe the awe in which us minions held you? Dolphins, eh? Unbelievable to the proletariat. I doubt you remember it but one of my highlights was when you gave me a mackerel to fry - fantastic, thought I'd made it!
I remember Si like it was yesterday. And the day when, cycling home from London Zoo, I read of his death in the Evening Standard. I don't know much about it, only it was in '82 and in Germany, by tigers. But I remember Si as the guy that propagated some very interesting horticultural specimens in the reptile house which got moved down to the lion reserves when they were about 14" high. And 'high' is about right. Best damned weed I ever had. Ah, halcyon days, alas now gone.
And the fight we both had to have with Gary Smart (last heard of floorwalking some bloody amusement arcade on the South Coast -thus are the mighty fallen.) We were reported by the girl on the gate at the reptile house because we half-jokingly talked about chucking Gary in to meet Brutus - the big Mississippi Alligator - fantastic creature, beautiful, really beautiful. Anyway, Si came back with a seriously bad black eye. I had just come out of an op on my stomach - the big 'C' I'm afraid - but it never came back. When Gary drove me out to the field behind the giraffes for my turn to fight I was scared stupid that my stitches would re-open so I refused to fight and Gary made me resign instead. Told me I was pathetic. Ah, fukkit - loads of water under the bridge since then eh? As the Kiwi's say - Get over it, move on.
And the guy who nicked stuff (a watch?) So we raided his caravan one night and sprayed his bollox with ninhydrin - the purple stuff. Took it quite well as I believe. Ended up shagging Judy - the love of my life. She must have had a thing about purple bollox I suppose.
Any of you old farts fancy spending your last days waiting for God and gabbin' about the best days of your life in some Old Folks home, you give me a call, OK?
Speak soon
Charles

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Sas » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Tez / Martin / Charles ? everyone, i've spoken to Keith and he's not on email, he's going through a bit of a time at the moment and money is tight, but I will get him round my pad and we will get on here and TRASH THE PLACE no stone will be left un-turned we will talk you lot into a coma Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaa just remember you old buggers i'm still only 12 and I refuse to grow old, ha ha lol, now where was we Gary Smart ( Mr TWAT ) opp's sorry, Kev from the reptiles said gary had been seen at a bootfair selling stuff out the back or an old motor fallen indeed, on a lighter note remember Fireworks Night si, Brillo, qullum, and a fair few others throwing bangers, I came running out of my flat with Brillo in hot persuit past the showers up the steps into the single flats and I slamed the door shut, thinking Id got away, then BANG and a pain in my leg where id had it against the door, looking down there was a big burn in my trousers and leg, where Brillo had put the lit banger through the hole where the lock was ment to be The Ferker, I was in pain for ages, ha ha ha lol I had to have the dressing changed everyday for a week and as it I could'nt shag I had to put up with a blow job every day Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thoses were the day's
Best regards

Sassy Big Boy
Last edited by Sas on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:46 pm

Sas-man I've got a real bad feeling I remember that fireworks do....... what month did you leave the park? Did I know you when you were working there or did you come back to the bars some nights to haunt us? I started in Jan (7th) 1977.
But Christ do I remember spraying the purple spray (Terymycin?) on that twat's bollocks with fellow rebel rouser Charles the Cad!
As you've probably read on another thread on this forum, Bruce and myself were responsible for hanging the cave man and setting the sabre toothed tiger free!!
Billy Bliss (sadly no longer with us) and I were the ones (and I'm bloody sure we were not the first) who shimmied up the Education centre flagpole to nick the Union Jack (couldn't ever get the main gate ones as they were taken down every night!).......
Robbie Still and I were the ones who raided the building site down the back road (on the way to the Sebastopol) to nick loads of sheets of plywood and doorframes to build our own cubicles in the middle flat.......
And I've forgotten the amount of punch-ups we had with the Windsor "lads" outside the bars..... usually over some under age Windsor lass (the name Jane Farrant springs to mind!). Christ, the first week I was there we were all sitting in the top bar..... all in our cliquey groups (Dolphin boys, Lion boys and Rest Of Us).... something kicked off between a Windsor lad and Beechy (he was with Sandra then, another under age Windsor lass!) and we ALL, as a group, stood up and stared the Windsor contingent down...... brilliant! (Jeff Wilson, who had taken me under his wing as I seemed to "click" with his beloved Elephants, showed me where he and Big Bill and Les stashed all the elephant hooks and chair legs if anything should ever get nasty!!)
Honestly, I never had so much fun in my life! Fantastic bunch of folk!

tez bobrowicz
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by tez bobrowicz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi guys, I cant believe what you guys are telling me about "THE G MAN" if its right, Oh how the mighty are fallen, indeed? The S*** gave us, in the dolphinariam a right hammering most days. the Smart philosophy then was "because they do shows they will get big headed so keep em down" he was a lot rougher on us, me in particular, than any other section. When they built the SS DOLPHIN over our offices and got round to having to paint the monstrosity, he told me and Robby Hill (where is he now? miss him) to clime about 50 foot in the air to paint the mast, facing the sack, we refused, so he throw one of his " I was in the SAS" wobbler's and climbed a very unsafe ladder to show us wimps how it was done. At which point Robby and I looked at each other, and knew if we let go of the ladder our "SAS" problem would go a way, probably permanently. Well we didn't but we often talked about that miss opportunity, when he was giving us hell on future dates. By the way he never even came close to finishing the SAS course, we knew that from Rocky his uncle that was the commentator on shows in 74/5, he hated the G as well.

It would be grate to know just where his actually is now, I for one would go see him, just to stand there laughing at him, for making my life hell at times.

He did say one thing that (as far as I am concerned) did happen. In late 76 the Smarts decided to sell the park. That, by the way is why they sold Ramu, (the money) he and I had a row over it, and he said "You wait till the accountants move in, you'll miss us then". In April of 77 he fired me (for the first time) and I took off to Germany and joined a travelling dolphin show, when I came back in 78 the park had been sold there was a grate feeling of optimism, we all thought that at last the Smarts could not hold us back any more, a new beginning, a dream. That dream was short lived with the likes of Vass and Co. By 79 I realised Gary was right, the accountant had moved in, and they knew sod all about running a Safari Park or about animals. (Walters once asked the board of directors for money for a new fence as the deer where jumping over it and escaping, they told him to get new deer that didn't jump so high?) I think that we keepers where close because we had one common enemy, the Smarts, them and us?

When I came back I walked strait into the middle of the Union war, which split all the keeper into two camps. There was never the comradary that existed before. But even so there where good men, and it still was streets ahead of Civi street.

How about them Photos of Si and Sid then? has any one got any?

Nuff for now. be happy. Tez.

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:28 pm

I remember the jumped up prick (G) used to make us go back up to the flats after signing on to inspect our accommodation, as if it were a military barracks! I personally could never figure out how he could miss the fact that the Moroccans would squat on top of the khazi to take a dump and leave it with crap running all over the pan, but complain and try to intimidate us if the flats were untidy!
I guess on the whole I had it a lot easier as I worked Elephants with Dennis Critch (who was ex Parachute Regiment and knew all about our so called SAS hero), and was under the wing of Jeff Wilson. I really can't remember Gary Smart ever giving us any problems down at the Elephant House, and we were supervised on the whole by Francis.
What I do remember very vividly is Maurice Vass finding out we couldn't get rid of Lion cubs as England was saturated at that time with Safari Parks and lions (this was before anyone figured out to put them on the pill) and a live cub was worth less than twenty quid but a well tanned skin was worth two hundred........ so he had one of the lionesses destroyed and the skin eventually decorated his office. Scum.
Tez theres a guy I know out here who knows Rob Hill......... I only see this bloke from one year to the next but there is a sliver of contact. I loaned this guy the only photos I ever had of Comp to show Rob (photos of when Simon, Beechy and myself all went off to Whipsnade on a day off....... that was a hell of a sight..... a trio of red headed long haired cowboy booted flared Levi jean wearing RWSP bomber jacketed lads together!!) so I'll try to get 'em back and post 'em on here.
After I left RWSP in March '80 I went to Ganserndorf Safari Park in Austria for a short spell, then landed the job of dreams with the (potential) breeding group of Asian Elephants at Aspinalls Port Lympne Wildlife Park. I'd only been there a few months when Simon called me from Serengeti Safari Park in Germany to go look after his elephants....... I had to turn him down. Not long after came the dreadful news of his death. I never knew at the time that Keith Greenwood had been working out there with Comp. I do remember going back up to Windsor as soon as possible after that and joined in holding a tremendous farewell party for Simon down in the old Goldmine bar in the basement........ man did we get wrecked with his memory that night!
Sadly I've lost all the guys I worked Elephants with...... Quentin Rose, Billy Bliss and Mark Aitken (at Port Lympne)....... probably just as well for those still in "the job" that I'm out of it!!
(I'd still go back tomorrow though!)

Cad
ROOKIE CREW

Post by Cad » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:42 am

REMOVED BY FALKOR ON 13 MARCH 2008 at 1807 for breach of registration terms

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic