names from the past

If you are joining this site, perhaps you would like to tell us all about yourself here, in as little or large a detail as you like!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

oscar

names from the past

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:57 pm

hi tiger 1 yes i did work with zooey.. london zoo back in the 80s down the cats with gonzo{gunner}alan thomas mushti pete whitehead,steve tutcher
MUTLEY as he was known steve bowers[BIG FOOT}MY BEST MAN at wedding,to name but a few i am also in regular contact with charlie chaplin
richard we call each other once a week he lives up in whitby.
oh by the way how can i forget big AL he was with us down with the cats i would love to see him again....give him my regards if your in contact.
we cannot forget doug aldridge {assist curator} he would normally be in a r
eserve with his landrover in some ditch calling for assistance HELP....
then thier was franciss rendell the top curator of all time the best boss anybody could want even to this day nobody has come anywhere near himm a great bloke.
my days at the park also consisted of working in the dolphinarium,
with tez bruce walton dave lindsay paul lanehart andy burden aussie dave
and of course winnie/dolphins
tez taught me how to commentate,and present the animals he was a great bloke to,i always remember my first show with him in front of a packed audience,bank holiday i was a nervuos wreck doing the commentating,this i eventually overcome it was good times.
any way tiger i wii speak soon would love to hear from anybody else out there who new me and sharon.

does any body remember the following
john morley1980
gary batters 1980
steve bowers 1980
steve tutcher 80 s
bill bliss 80s
keith greenwood
martin hyatt 80s
chris hemmingway {nitty-black knight
big dave burst 80s
ian johnson 80s
richard chaplin cats
graham chaplin[son]
CLIVE 80S
david graham{josh} cats ex chessington zoo
gonzo {Gunner} :roll:
DAVI

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Re: names from the past

Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:17 am

oscar wrote:hi tiger 1 yes i did work with zooey.. london zoo back in the 80s down the cats with gonzo{gunner}alan thomas mushti pete whitehead,steve tutcher
Hello there, and welcome!

I left WSP around late 79, I think! So we never met. Out of everything in your post I must say Frances Randell was indeed a top curator of animals, men and woman. He was a fair man and that is all I ask of a boss to be FAIR! Doug and I never really saw eye to eye, but what did I know at the age of twenty, everything!!! NOT! What a pain I must have been :lol:

Be Good, Life is Short.

Graham Chaplin

Hi Oscar AKA Jimmy Scouser Shaw

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:24 am

Hi Jimmy, my father, Richard telephoned me to say about this site!
I worked at WSP between 1979 & 1982, working on Top section & Giraffe Reserve. Remember been thrashed at table football down in the mansion bar with Clive ( Evans) at our social club ?!?
Clive lives in Virginia Water & still keep in touch with him & reminisce about those mad, happy times of our mis-spent youth!
Just to add a couple of names to your wherearetheynow!!
Sadly first of all I received a newspaper cutting from Gunner quite a few years ago saying Bill Bliss had been killed in a road accident. He at the time worked at Noel Edmonds "Crinkly Bottom" wildlife park. He joined WSP on the same day as me May 1979; he took me under his wing and showed me London on our days off. The paper said he left behind a wife and young family and would like to pay my respects to his family.
I remember the most of the people you mentioned, but would just like to add a few more,
Neil Millington, who worked on Giraffe reserve and went onto be delivery driver. Left the park in 1981 and last I heard from him, he kipped at my giraffe house flat prior to embarking on a round europe to discover his fortune!
John Morley & Sandra,
Tim Minty who I think left to join the police force,
Sue Goldswein, who first looked after the chairmans horses Tolwyn & Tora, before going onto work in education, used to live on Dedworth road.
Chris (Coleman??) who helped me lug my suitcases on the underground across London on the day I left, a friend of Garry Batters.
Owen & kiki who used to hold those incredible music sessions in the bar, & also at Jethroes wine bar in Windsor.
Kim & Doug Davies ( education & bottom section )
Tim Durrant from Top section used to live in the chimp house flat below Abdullah, I think he worked at Heathrow?
Pete & Fiona Whitehead
Mushty & Linda
Kelvin Heath ( not to be confused with that other Kelvin ( Roberts ) AKA Gunner!!!
Geoff ? from monmouth
Martin Ballam AKA weasel from top section.
Martin Smith from Rhinos ( used to work with Bill ) and his girlfriend karen
Helen & Keith Reany Dolphinarium reception & birds
Tony Eagle ( also Birds )
Les who used to fetch all the food from market,
Elizabeth O'Sullivan used to work with me on top section last know working at Southampton General hospital.
Lawrence & Caroline Birkin,
Dave Lyndsey who also joined WSP at the same time.
Vic & Patsy from maintenance & wardrobe
Barry the chippy,
The Greenwood brothers Dave & Keith,
The Still brothers Robbie & Andy,
All the Dolpinarium Motley crue Bruce, Simon, Terry & Steve.
Tracey the ice cream kiosk girl
Frank Triggs & Mr Bird (Sendover)
Nick Walters, Mr North ( who used to sign us all in & out )
Mrs Hatherway who used to have the Blue sports car!
Doug Aldridge
Francis & Trixie Rendell & not forgetting his beautiful sister in law who sent me the congratulations on the birth of your baby boy ( Giraffe! ) card- Carol!
I have included my e-mail and would love to hear from any of the above or those mentioned by Jimmy or who knew my father, who followed in my footsteps.
Please forgive me by anyone who reads this and their names have been omitted- senile dementia comes with old age!!
Best wishes,
Graham

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Hiya

Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi Graham.
You wont know me but i remember your dad, "Charlie". I was known as "Clubby" and worked with "Gunner" and Dave Burst on cats. How is your dad?. Hope he's well, please pass on my best to him.
"Clubby"

Graham Chaplin

Hi Clubby

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my letter. My father's in good health and will be thrilled to hear from you. He asked me to go on the site, after Jimmy & Sharon discovered the site by accident. Sadly he does not have a computer, but will be accessing the site from a friend of his, from an office hopefully tomorrow.
He has mentioned you before. Did you go to the re-union which was held at the Crispin quite a few years ago, possibly around 1992 / 1993 ? I went with Clive Evans & my Father. I knew Fiona Whiteheads younger sister Pippa, was there and Francis & his son Jamie, and Doug Aldridge, also the Greenwood brothers, keith & Dave.
I now remember it was Chris Coombes ( not sure of spelling who helped me lug my suitcase across London. ( John Morley managed to stick a pitch fork through the back of my hand on my last day when we were cleaning the Giraffes out!! ), so had one hand strapped up!!
I also knew Aussie Dave and also a smashing bloke nicknamed Kiwi from New Zealand of course, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. Did you know
Brian Lewis from cats & his girlfriend Diane from Bateman caterers? Bill Bliss, Dave Lyndsey & I all stayed in digs in the Cedar tree in Windsor for quite a few months, before we got accomodation on the park, back in 1979!
I first shared a chalet with Mark, nicknamed lordy who was a friend of Gunners, his step father was the author of Ring of bright water about the otters & he lived on the Isle of White.
I then shared a chalet with Dave Lyndsey (Baboons; Cats & Dolphinarium). Before they gave me the Giraffe house flat.
I also knew Dave Burst, whom dad says now lives in the wilds of USA / Canada.
I have met Malcolm (London Zoo), who visited dad when he was in hospital having a knee operation.
I worked there at the same time as Martin Hyat & who you all call big Al, a fairly short guy with black curly hair.
It is difficult to remember when people came & left. I was only there 3 years but met so many people, who were all linked together with two things in common, the love of animals and the not minding getting such low pay!! My first pay packet was the princley sum of £27, for a six day week, but they did throw the digs in so I suppose we can't complain!
Well take care & will pass your regards to my Father,
Best wishes Graham

Charlie

WSP - big cat section

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi Clubby
This is Charlie. Absolutely thrilled to see all these contacts from former staff. I am putting this on through a friend of mine as I don't have a computer.
Best wishes to all who have been mentioned I will of course get information passed to me from Graham who lives a short distance from me. I speak frequently to Gunner Zooy Jimmy & Sharon. I also speak annually to Gary Batters now Curator Banham Zoo Norfolk and I also spoke at Christmas to Francis Rendal and a few months before that Doug Aldridge living now somewhere in Wiltshire and now aged 82. So excited I can hardly take it all in! I am now 72 still very shy and have great difficulty in passing as over 16.
All the best
Charlie

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Hi

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi Charlie.
Good to hear from you. Glad your doing ok. This is a great site eh! I have had some wonderful memories stirred up by this site and regained contacts that i thought i would never hear from again. Fantastic. Thank god for the internet eh, and thanks too to the Administrator, Falkor. Good to hear your still in touch with the others too. Next time you see anyone who knows me please pass on my best. Cant believe Doug Aldridge is in his 80's, good on him, and you of course. How often do you see Gonzo? You should tell him about this site, he'd love it. What's Zooey up to now?. Anyway, many questions. Chat again soon eh.
All the best mate.
"Clubby"
"Clubby"

Dahai
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:23 am

Doug Aldridge is 82!!!!

I know I am moving through the years, but the image we carry of others is the last time we saw them...

Circa 1977...[/
b]
[img=http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1810 ... hn3.th.jpg]

Doug was a good friend to myself and family. But we lost touch on our return to NZ.

Wayne

BRIGHTON121
RANGER
RANGER

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:58 am

Dahai wrote:Doug Aldridge is 82!!!!

I know I am moving through the years, but the image we carry of others is the last time we saw them...

Circa 1977...[/
b]
[img=http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1810 ... hn3.th.jpg]

Doug was a good friend to myself and family. But we lost touch on our return to NZ.

Wayne

That is way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy, no wounder we had a difference of opinion. I never realized the generation gap :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dahai
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Oh dear!

No I am NOT the same age as Doug! I just feel it sometimes!!!!
![/[/color]b]
:roll:

Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:50 am

I have just come across this site by accident & have spent the last day reading the responses from the various staff members who worked at WSP. I like many was fortunate to work there with some of the posters from 1980 to 1982 as a fairly young & somewhat naive person a long way from home which was & still is Australia. As with others WSP certainly moulded & made me the person I am today, in fact I would say it was one of the most defining moments in my life.
I still struggle a little to remember all the great people who I worked with or for during my time there.
To read the absolute passion & enthusiasm from Tez is great, & to see a post from Jim Shaw brought great memories back & to think he married Sharon when I remember when they first met all those years ago. Unfortunately the lady I met & was very keen on at the time Sarah Welch did not last the distance, some things are not meant to be!!
I also wonder what happened to John Morley & his lovely lady Sandra who we shared digs with.
Dave Lyndsay who like Tez always gave me a hard time as a dolphin presenter!!
Any Burden & his lady Jill who we were always playing jokes upon & his car which was his pride & joy.
I have probably said enough today as my memory is not as good as it once was, would love hear from anyone who may remember me & you can always email me downunder at dphillips@gpqld.com.au.

PS I am not sure if some would remember Dave Lyndsay & I spent 1982 at Morcecambe Marineland with the Braithwaites, well after Morecambe closed they went to Spain however just recently Bernadette suffered a major brain haemorrhage & her daughter is attempting to raise funds to bring her home to Scarborough, the web link is http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk ... 4144020.jp

Look forward to hearing from any of my old collegues!!

Aussie Dave

falkor
plague
plague

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 am

Dave what have they got in Australia comparable to WSP?

a pal of mine is out your way, he was a commie chef up in the top London hotels, learnt his trade there then met an Ozzie girl, went over to Oz to make his fortune and now has his own restaurant there with her - hey maybe you know him!! Chrissie Bond? :D

Aussie Dave

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:59 am

Falkor,

There really isn't anything like WSP here in Australia where you could drive through like the public could at WSP, but I could be wrong as I have been out of this industry for over 25 years!!
As a society this industry has changed dramatically since we were in it.
Where does your friend Chrissie Bond work, do you know the name of the restaurant & the city?
I'm not sure if I have met you as I only worked at WSP from 1980 to 1983, what is your full name?

Talk to you soon.

Aussie Dave

Dahai
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 pm

You are so right Dave about the manner in which this society has changed. All this pc crap and the molley coddling of people has taken the edge away from what were once fabulous places for a family to visit. (But in saying that, there were a great many places that should never have been allowed to open!)
In Christchurch we have a large safari park loosely based on European designs with large open range enclosure similar to San Diego. Orana Park has a good international reputation especially breeding animals such as Oryx. It has been open for 30 years now. However a few years back it closed all its drivethrough reserves "in case someone got hurt"! Now you get to walk around (or take the bus) this huge area.

Your comments about Australia remind me of a sign which used to be at the entrance to a drive-through safari park just outside Brisbane. (This also goes back probably 25-30 years.) It was a large sign listing all the entrance prices. That was price per indivudual, price per car load, price per bus etc.

Right at the bottom of this sign in large letters was the intonation "POMS ON BICYCLES --- FREE" :lol:

I kid you not! Who said the Aussie had not sense of humour!

Trainer87

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi there, I worked at WSP from 1985-1990 approx. I found this site on Facebook and have enjoyed reading the entries and seeing all the familiar names. Dave Lindsay was the Head Trainer when I was there, a man very good at his job, and wanted nothing but the best for 'his' animals. They came first, then came his wife.....and there was Bill Pricket, Annabelle - who's last name escapes me - other faces I can still see but names I have long forgotton....and ofcourse there were a lot of volunteers through the summer. I started as a commentator and when I left I was the assistant head trainer of 'Seaworld'. Winnie was flown over to Seaworld in Orlando when the park closed, with the dolphins going to other places within Europe. I remember Pete Whitehead, he lived on site in a group of bungalows, next to him lived Helen and her little daughter, Dave Lindsay lived across from them.....Francis Rendal was there when I first started, and Terry Nutkins unfortunately was there throughout my time. He would 'hit on' all the girls and could be quite mean if you stood up for yourself. That is just my opinion. I have many photos which brings a smile to my face all these years later. It was a good time for me, and a bad time for me, I'm still trying to figure which is winning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic