names from the past

If you are joining this site, perhaps you would like to tell us all about yourself here, in as little or large a detail as you like!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: names from the past

Post by Sas » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 am

Hi You sound as if you had some great times like most of us some bad too, if you could up load your photo's it would be great to see them.

Best regards

Sas

rickles2351
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by rickles2351 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi,

I used to work with a Frances Randell at Coventry Zoo back in the misspent days of my youth.

If it is the same person, and it certainly sounds like it, he was one of Nature's Gentlemen.

He was the dolphin trainer at Coventry and I was keeping a pair of Patagonian Fur Seals at the zoo. The pool down at Clacton was being refitted so I spent the winter at Coventry.

With respects

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Sas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Thats the same man a first class boss he's still about but we have not got him on here yet we live in hope
Regards
Sas

rickles2351
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by rickles2351 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Sas,

That is good news about Frances Randell.

Funny thing is that after Coventry and a few more years down the track I ran into him at WSP. I was passing on my way North-West to Shropshire.

As I was near WSP I thought it might just be worth a quick visit and there was Frances. "Where have you been hiding" says he. Australia I replied.

With respects

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Sas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Such a shame the place had to close some great times and great people there, I wish the place was still going today

Sas

Trixie

Post by Trixie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:06 am

Hi guys - Trixie here, married to Francis when we lived at WSP. Sadly we are no longer together but are still friends. He is now living in Devon and is very well and happy. I do let him know when I read about him on here. We often talk about our happy days at Windsor, they were very special times. xx

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:17 pm

hi Trixie welcome to the site

please tell us more if you can
Sas wrote:Such a shame the place had to close some great times and great people there, I wish the place was still going today

Sas
Sas all you hear about with Thorpe Park or Chessington World of Adventures is how long the queue was for this that or the other

queues are either 1 hour, 2 hours or even a mind boggling 3 hours

I kid you not

people actually go there and queue for 3 hours just to go on 1 ride

since WSP closed in 1992 - the sheer amount of public allowed into these venues has mushroomed to a ridiculous level

would WSP have been any different had it stayed open? I wonder what it would have been like in 2010

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Sas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi All well talking of Queues I remember as will every one else there we opened one Bank Holiday monday and from 9am in the morning till 7pm at night it was non stop through the reserves all the gates had to be open and every one worked like dog's that day the park had never been so busy Ginger and the crew in Cats were at it all day trying to keep the Lions from going through the open gates it was manic I think Tez and the boy's did the most show's in the Dolphinarum ever and every one crashed out down the bar later to a few well deserved pints/gallons lol, if the park was open today it would be the best in Europe as the smarts wouldn't have it any other way, but my god the expence of running a place like that now Ouch.

rickles2351
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by rickles2351 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:48 am

Hi all,

I went to have a look at the Facebook page and contacted James Rendell, son of Francis Rendell. Up to now I thought the spelling was Randall.

I was reading the ealier posts and saw the names of Helen & Keith Reany Dolphinarium reception & birds. Is this the same Keith Reany who worked dolphins at Ramsgate?

Regards

Berni
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Berni » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 am

I am gutted that noone seems to remember me................... sob sob. lol
I was the manic depressive skinny slighty shy idiot who worked on the main gate - then the reptile house then the dolphinarium taking money - until the lovely Terry let me work in the dolphinarium as a trainee animal keeper (well that is what I called myself- really I was prob just a dogsbody lol).
during the shows I would let the dolphins out of the pens- and was sometimes called Ethel....... I had long dark curly hair (its going white now).
I was being trained by Liz to do the parrot show and when she left I did soon after and went to Alton Towers to do the parrot show up there with her.
I started at WSP during the Smarts reign, and stayed on till about 1980. Truly the best years of my life and I treasure all my memories
The water tight gate falling on Nigel,.
The death of Snappie,,,,,,,,, such a tradegy thank god for the bar with cheap booze I wasnt old enough but got very pissed that night.
the death of Hazel........ another time to get very drunk and cry alot.
Freddie Starr and Rolf Harris creeping me out every time they came up to swim with the Dolphins.
I am sure I have many more - I will also dig out some of the photos I took of that time...........
Berni - left WSP in 1980 ish

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Sas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Well we sure will look forward to seeing the photo's and hearing any more storys
Best regards
Sas

Goldie
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Goldie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi people...

Having a trip down memory lane here.... I worked at the park in 1987 on work experience with Gordon on Baboons, Sian who was a work placement I think, There was some other guys a fella with a blonde tache on top section and Sonia... I met the cubs that were being named on Blue Peter. I also remember writing to Francis rendal (Hope thats spelt right) and getting a trip in the feed wagon. I finally got a job in 1988 seasonal on baboon gate but the next year was taken on full time. I worked with Clubby, Gonzo, Big Al, Ling, MT, Gareth, Chris, Zippy, Pete Whithead, Dodgy, Simon (tigers) Bullethead (bears) Doug, Simon and Warren Ellies, That Stuart who was on Airport, Jez, Ginger, Ray who used to be security Erm loads of others I cant remember. I was there from 1988 till 2003 I think and ended up third in charge of cats which actually meant getting all the slack from Dodgy and covering when Gunner and Clubby were off...Malcolm let when I was there and I went to his leaving do in Dedworth I think....
Ray took over from me as third in charge as I didnt think the same wages, extra grief, managing disgruntled section staff and the stress of the punters was conducive to a lengthy life span.

Miss the place..was a travesty when it closed...still appalls me and leaves an ache inside...:(

J

Yolanda

Post by Yolanda » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:45 pm

:D My Mum is Sylvia Struthers who was Director of Education from 87 to 91. My name is Yolanda. I remember quite a lot of the names that Goldie has submitted, but also the great team that my Mum had working for her - John Watkins, Tracy, Sarah, etc. I remember playing with Sharka the lion cub and going to see him when he made a return visit for a commercial. I remember going out with the staff and staying with Sonia on-site. When I had my 18th, a lot of the staff came to the party in Teddington (lots of very embarrassing photos of that :r ), and my 21st was held on-site in the African Lodge (again, lots of embarrassing photos). I would really love to hear from anyone from that era at WSP - as both Mum and I have fantastic memories of a lot of the names from the past and think it would be great to have some sort of reunion for past workers at WSP.

gunners beeehotch
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

Post by gunners beeehotch » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Afternoon… Been a while but thought I'd pop back in. I dont know if anyone remembers me, I worked on Baboons for a summer stint with Gareth, Les and MT before being laid off and returning the summer following for a ft position on big cats between 89 and 94… I think. I worked with you Clubby and Gonzo, Big Al, Bullethead and the crew, Zooey left shortly after I joined but I remember Ling Ling, Simon & Sonia, Ben, Ray 9ex front gate) Dodgy and Doug and the rest of the sections staff… Great years, I was lacking in maturity back then and was fan of the booze but remember some amazing memories. I hope everyones still alive and kicking.
Gordon, Ginger, Chris, Simon, Warren, all the crew..

I have bumped into Wingnut a few times, really surreal, my band was playing at MADNESS house of fu weekender and I saw him there last year. Previously saw him in Windsor on a night out about 10 years previous. Miss those days, now a substance misuse worker for the NHS but would love to be back working with the beasties.

Word up Justin.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic