rodney the chimp

What happened when you visited? What did you see? Stories, anecdotes, photos, scans, anything about visiting the legendary safari park as a paying customer!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

crust2007

rodney the chimp

Post by crust2007 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm

there was a chimp named rodney who lived here before he moved to monkeyworld ape rescue centre in 1993
i was wondering whether anyone remembers him??????

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:16 am

Remember him very well. Shit slinger!! Did you work at WSP?

crust2007

Post by crust2007 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:06 pm

no but i'm a huge fan of monkeyworld

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Post by Martin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:04 am

Yes, me too. I knew Jim Cronin very well..... he was at Howletts while I was at Port Lympne. I was very sad at his passing away earlier this year. I know Alison and the guys, many of whom are ex Howletts, will carry on.

crust2007

Post by crust2007 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:04 pm

do u have any pics of rodney when he was at windsor

ilcolonello

Re: rodney the chimp

Post by ilcolonello » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:02 am

Rodney became an alpha group-leader at Monkey World, but died a couple of years ago at age 39 following emergency surgery. His second-in-command, an adolescent named Hananya, led many of the group against him in a brutal attack. Ironically, it has taken until this year for Hananya to gain any real control over that particularly young group, and even now, he is not respected the way Rodney was.

Following Rodney's death Jim Cronin named a new-born male chimp "Rodders", after him.

crust2007

Post by crust2007 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:53 am

yh i saw it on series 8 of monkey business

very sad:(
but hananya has turned into a perfect leader now

does anyone have any info about the chimps he was living with
i know there was bixa,evie,jestah and buxom
then evie had jess in 1993
and bixa had arfur in 1993

there was another baby called bob
who died in 1998
was his mum with rodney

ilcolonello

Post by ilcolonello » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Crust2007 -

Actually, not quite the perfect leader. Hananya is still struggling to get full respect from all the group members, but having said that, he is slowly winning the battle. I go to the park every couple of weeks or so, and last visit I watched him struggle for 10 minutes to control the pack who were intent on making a monkey of him!

As for the others you mentioned -

(italics - quotes from Monkey World's website http://www.monkeyworld.org)

Bixa - currently living in Monkey World's stable mixed group headed by Paddy

Bixa is a female chimp from Windsor Safari Park. She arrived at the park on 31/05/93 and was born during 1977 at Port Lympne Zoo. She is a greyish colour, squints her eyes a lot and has lost muscle control of the right side of her face probably as the result of a stroke. Bixa is the mother of Arfur but was not producing enough milk to feed him. She gets on well within the group.

Buxom - currently living in Monkey World's Batchelor Group, headed up by Butch

Buxom arrived from Windsor Safari Park, when it closed down, on 31/05/93 and was born on 29/01/82. He was born at Port Lympne in Kent and is the half-brother of Jestah. They get on very well and their alliance is a strong one. Together they are high ranking pair in the bachelor group.

Jestah - Also in the Batchelor Group

Jestah arrived from Windsor Safari Park on 31/05/93 and was born on 28/12/81. He has a pale face with freckles. Jestah has a strong alliance with Buxom which helps to keep them both very dominant in the group.

Jess - Currently living in Rodney's old group under the (occasional) control of Hananya

Jess is a female Chimpanzee from Windsor Safari Park. She was born on 25/04/93 and arrived at the park on 31/05/93. Evie, her mother, rejected her when she was at Windsor Safari Park and our keepers cared for both her and Arfur for the first couple of years of their lives. Jess gets on well within the group and is still very close to Arfur.

Arfur - Also still in Rodney's old group - he has turned completely silver and sneers like a sex-pest :) Still plays with Jess like he was 2 years-old.

Arfur is a male chimp from Windsor Safari Park. He was born on 23/04/93 and arrived at Monkey World on 31/05/93. His mother was Bixa but he had to be cared for by the keepers as she did not have enough milk to feed him. Arfur used to be a nervous chap, always staying close to Jess, but now he is more outgoing and has a boisterous character.

As for Evie - she died sometime in the last 3 years or so, but I cannot recall exactly when.

If you dig deep on the Monkey world site, you will find numerous mention of all the Windsor Safari Park chimps. Unfortunately the site is really out-of date, but I have been told that a new one should launch sometime this year.

I am still trying to find out which chimps from WSP were in the film "Mutiny on the Buses" in 1972 - any info will be greatly received.

crust2007

Post by crust2007 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 pm

wow
a new monkeyworld site???

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 am

arfur killed his own dad!

crust2007

Post by crust2007 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm

arfur didnt know rodney was his dad