top ten of Windsor Safari Park?

What happened when you visited? What did you see? Stories, anecdotes, photos, scans, anything about visiting the legendary safari park as a paying customer!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

out of the top 10, which is your favourite?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
plague
plague

top ten of Windsor Safari Park?

Post by falkor » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:49 pm

Vote for your top attraction at WSFP! Which was your best and why? :mrgreen:ImageI vote the drive around the safari route because I just loved that with my family. So good. :lol: You had 3 choices, drive your car along the route, board the awesome free coach service (not bad actually) or go around it by foot.Ok the last one was possible - but obviously not exactly along the same route, you could walk around the perimeter fence of much of the animals' areas, not quite the same - but all 3 were brilliant in my book.From May 1990 cars were banned from the safari route as the new Safari Roadtrains took over. I did not shed much of a tear over this - did you?Ok it stopped you using your car, what does this mean exactly? It means that you could not go around the route exactly when you wanted and instead had to queue up with the hordes, for this road train which was a loss of comfort for sure, I wonder why WSFP made the decision to ban cars from the route? Anybody know? :shock:

soniareilly
CREW MEMBER
CREW MEMBER

why cars were banned

Post by soniareilly » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:36 pm

It was a idea of the new owners!!!!!But had a very practical reason we had a tiger who like to catch cars.we had many close calls . Also it ment that the animals had less fumes to swallow. and the lead levels in the grass went down as did the noise.It may have been a little bit of a pain to use the train but the cats thought it was great wall to wall moving food. It was a better veiw on the old coaches though and more fun.But I agree with you much more fun in a car, unless it was a minni and you were the one that lancer and his cohurts draged into the tiger pool,
Hi Sonia here,you will remember me as Sonia Hall, I was an employee and ranger at the park form 1983 untill 1990. Am still mad about animals and would love to hear form any of the gang from the park

Vicky007

What is the address of Windsor Safari????

Post by Vicky007 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:38 am

I have searched the web and there seems to be no official site for Windsor safari. No contact number to book tickets no information on opening times etc. How close is it to Legoland Windsor. All the photos I can find are dated from 1980 !!!!!!

I was told by Wobern Safari that Windsor Safari has closed down. Is this true?

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:37 am

The legendary Windsor Safari Park closed in 1992 :cry:

Dahai

Post by Dahai » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:56 pm

Vicky, you sound as though you are disappointed there are no photos pre 1980?
Likewise I see few. Those were the days when men were men, women were glad and the animals knew it! (And PLEASE do not take that in a sexist way!)
Ghosts inhabited the mansion, Ramu ruled the dolphinarium, grass was not just something the animals ate, the rat population thrived on warfarin, baboons figured out a way to dine at the top restaurant, Prince Charles broke the shower, burly Windsor police fought seals and life was as it could be - FUN.
Man, that was nearly thirty years ago...

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Sun May 02, 2004 5:07 pm

Dahai wrote: burly Windsor police fought seals and life was as it could be - FUN.
Man, that was nearly thirty years ago...
wow Dahai - I'm all ears!! :P what the heck is this? Please carry on, I am as about as intrigued as I can be

Dahai

Post by Dahai » Wed May 05, 2004 3:38 pm

Hell, where does one begin? Seals seems to be as good as place as any...
'Twas 1976 sometime. Don't remember the season, but it was cold enough that brass monkeys were searching for warm underwear.
The Park had permission to live catch both grey and common seals up Scarborough way. The only catch (pun intended) was that they must be injured in some way. (ie. unable to survive in the wild.) Now, anyone understanding animals already knows that injured animals are far more "fun" to capture than those with all their senses. Right?
Yeah well, we were just happy to escape our captivity for a while. But that is another story...
One of the detainees was a male grey seal around 200lbs in weight. Being blind in his left eye meant he was a little pissed at life. After being taught to eat dead fish (Can you imagine a VERY pissed off 200lb grey seal living at your back door? An animal that just KNEW that every time it saw you, it was going to be subjected to all manner of coercions just to eat?)
Anyway, it - along with another grey seal and a couple of common seals (who all knew a good thing when they were on to it) - were released into the lake near the Education Centre.
The following day it was caught trying to make its way through the giraffe enclosure. Giraffes have big mouths...
It waited...it planned...
2.30AM. Several nights later, I was awakened by loud banging at my door; the sort of banging that indicates trouble. Said grey seal had really done a runner (or slider) this time. The local Police were in trouble. Reports of breaking and entering in Old Windsor had sent them scurrying. (You may recall that Old Windsor was where the money lived.)
So three or four yawning over-tired Windsor Safari Park employees duly turned up. (Not in their Sunday best I might add.) We also carried something the local law did not - a portable crush cage. (Not as bad as it sounds - unless of course you happened to be a wandering grey seal.)
Street lighting was as scarce as hearts on a pair of nun's knickers. In this half-darkness all we could see was a semi-circle of Windsor's finest - and unhappiest - scattered around a low snarling dark object. The seal was not any happier either.
The law - all six feet plus of them - was not about to move any closer.
We were tired. We wanted to go back to bed. Some of us had left VERY warm beds to be there. (Although I can remember some of the people present, I cannot remember who did what. Brain cells had died that night.)
The crush cage was placed behind the seal whilst someone else kept his attention forward. The door was raised, someone whapped the seal on its tail, said seal getting more pissed off roared, swung around amd leapt at the tail whapper who by now had leapt sideways. The seal's momentum carried him into the cage, door was dropped, cage was picked up, deposited on the back of the ute, driven back to the Park, seal let go into the lake, we all went back to bed.
The local law may still be standing there for all I know. I can still see the stunned look on their collective faces at the speed we got that animal contained.
History tells us that the seal did not try to esacpe again. Just as well. There was too much else going on.

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Escaping Seal

Post by Paul Scott » Sun May 16, 2004 12:52 pm

Very funny story!!
Any more like it? I am intrigued by the Prince Of Wales comment!
Many thanks,Paul.

Dahai

Prince of Wales

Post by Dahai » Mon May 24, 2004 9:56 am

Several months before I joined the staff in 1975, Prince Charles visited the Park for the express reason of swimming with Ramu. (So this story is heresay -although reliable! I heard it enough times from several different staff members with whom I worked!)
His visit was kept very hush-hush. This was not from the point of view of potential security problems but the media. It was felt that the general public might react rather negatively to the heir to the throne risking his life by swimming with "dangerous mammals"!!
After spending some time in the water he took a shower in the staff room. At one point there was a bit of a crash. Charles stepped out of the shower in all his finery and stated that "I seem to have broken the bloody shower". I am not sure whether anyone bothered to tell him not to touch the shower head as it had been broken for ages.
Sometime in 1976 the Daily Mirror "broke" this story and tried to drum up some press through sensationalising the story.
It died a natural death as no one seemed too concerned.
What was interesting at the time was that a ban on any staff swimming with Ramu was in force as he had "attacked" a staff member late in 1974 inflicting leg wounds! Apparently the future king swimming with Ramu was seen as okay!

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Post by Paul Scott » Mon May 24, 2004 6:23 pm

There seems to be some sort of strange logic at work there..... :roll:
Many thanks,Paul.

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by tiger1 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:35 am

I remember when a certain royal from a foriegn country visited the park. I was based in the Lions on 3 gate and was carrying a shotgun. (as always for cat security). When the motorcade came round the first car stopped and two Huge blokes got out armed with handguns and a sword each!! Apparently is was to keep an eye on me cos i had a gun as the motorcade went through my section!! I was a bit nervous to say the least. There was less security when Prince Charles and prince's William and Harry came through.
"Clubby"

Dahai

Post by Dahai » Tue May 25, 2004 4:06 pm

Since when did logic have anything to do with working with animals??
Logic is what made us refuse ANYONE with a university degree a job! Like the 'graduate' who was accepted for a job on the elephant section - who resigned a day later because he was not taught that elephants shite by the wheel barrow load - and that someone (ie, the NEW employee) had to clean it up!!
AND
That the lions KNEW that the gate keeper's shotguns contained only blanks that went BANG. So said gate keepers devised a very lethal Y-shaped catapult that fired REAL stones. Man did those lions learn a lesson!
"OUCH! That hurt! He hit me on the nose!'

swollen

Post by swollen » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:40 pm

lo

fatman

Post by fatman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:48 pm

swollen wrote:lo
You tell 'em Swollen! Quality stuff!

Ah, I remember the Birds of Prey myself, superb stuff. I really do wish I could go there again, it would be fantastic. Easily beats any of the theme parks we have today in my opinion.
I'm a lieutenant you know

demleye

Wholesale Ray.Ban sunglasses

Post by demleye » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Parrot Island Show at Windsor Safari Park but what was the Island? :|

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic