1986 Souvenir Video Tape

What happened when you visited? What did you see? Stories, anecdotes, photos, scans, anything about visiting the legendary safari park as a paying customer!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

falkor
plague
plague

1986 Souvenir Video Tape

Post by falkor » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I would like to thank Eddy Powell very much for sending me a superb video tape: "WINDSOR SAFARI PARK SOUVENIR VIDEO" made in 1986

** THIS IS ALL NEW MATERIAL FOR THIS WEBSITE ** This 1986 effort is NOT covered by any previous videos featured on this site, or on any others either!! ****

When transferred to DVD the 'vision' went across at high quality and optimum success, but unfortunately I don't know why, but the SOUND did not. To hear the sound on the resulting clips, please insert HEAD PHONES

With head phones: an acceptable sound track can be enjoyed, but I think you will find that your computer loudspeakers will barely be able to pick up anything of the sound, which is a shame as the sound IS a big part of this artefact.

I had never seen this 1986 effort and it is a BIG BIG present for any of us still thinking back to the Windsor Safari days

VIDEO TAPE SUMMARY

It kicks off with a huge salute to the SEAWORLD part of the park featuring WINNIE and 3 of the sealions

SEE THE WINNIE CLIP, OR SEE THE SEALION clip

Then moves on to the PARROT SHOW allowing a decent timeslot to appreciate what was a massively popular part of the day the Parrots were, in the clip SEE IT HERE the show is packed to the gills and has 6 parrots doing the well known stunts (but not all)

A great feature on the CHILDREN's ZOO shows lion cubs, sheep and all the usual contenders SEE THE CHILDREN'S ZOO CLIP HERE I believe that is Sonia Reilly with the lion cubs there, am I right?!

Following this is a small clip on the AFRICAN TIKI SHOW which for 3 year olds was a massive thrill, remember the laughing hyenas and Baloo the Bear? See the AFRIKAN TIKI SHOW clip here

Following that, the video completes with a few minutes on "the rest of the animals" such as giraffes, bears, elephants and before you know it the 20 minutes is UP!! SEE THE WHOLE VIDEO ON FACEBOOK

FACEBOOK CLIP 1 HERE | FACEBOOK CLIP 2 HERE | FACEBOOK CLIP 3 HERE

May I repeat my suggestion to you to insert HEAD PHONES when viewing this tape, the experience is much greater with headphones and I again thank Eddy Powell for sending that video tape in, well worth a view

Eddy Powell has actually recently written his LIFE STORY, view Eddy Powell's LIFE STORY HERE

I would welcome any of your comments on the content, please do reply with your views! There is only one video that exceeds this tape and that is the "GO WILD AT WINDSOR" filmed in 1988 (same duration but far more recent and "modern" developments covered)

Paul Scott
SUPERVISOR
SUPERVISOR

Re: 1986 Souvenir Video Tape

Post by Paul Scott » Sat May 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi Malc,

Been trying to access the forums for a while and finally got into them :D ! Sorry I wasn't able to make the 3 way discussion but my brother in laws girlfriend ended up going into labour and everything we had planned went out of the window :roll: !
Anyway, tested the Killer Whale clip and it is great! Straight to the clip and opened in about 10 seconds. Brilliant all the way through. Tried it without earphones and you can hear the sound VERY faintly. With the earphones in it was perfect. On a score out of 10 I would give the quality 8.5 or 9. Only because as it was transferred from video it is slightly hazy around edges (but you get that on all VHS transfers and this is the best I have ever seen!)
When it came to the video I though "what the hell" and went the full hog with the 300MB download. I am on 20MB broadband through Virgin and it took 8 minutes 27 seconds so I assume that will probably be the quickest speed. I reckon it could take up to 12-15 minutes on "normal" broadband i.e. 10MB. It came through at 6.54 minutes long. Again you can just about make out the audio without the earphones and perfectly with them. Video quality again 8.5 or 9 out of 10 for the reasons given above.
In a word BRILLIANT!!!!! :r
Thanks Eddy!!!

Paul
Many thanks,Paul.

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 am

welcome back Paul, you were sadly missed, glad you got back into the forums successfully
ImageThanks for downloading the 300MB section Paul, you will get the best quality viewing with the downloads, although from the sound of it the clips (on the video hosting sites) are not far behind

it is incredible to think that 25 years on, this video tape kept by Eddy Powell is still working well enough to give some of our members a solid glimpse back into the mid 1980s Windsor Safari Park and that is what is does very well indeed
Tez Bobrowicz wrote:Hi Mate, the 150Mb, souvenir vid: took 3 min to download at 846Kb/Sec: presumably the 300Mb vid: would take 6 min?

The two Eddy clips both "seem" to be from 1984/5. The Dolphinarium in the shots was refurbished at about that time. 2/3 years after I left? The presenter in the shots is Dave Lindsey.
thanks to both Tez and Paul for testing the DOWNLOADS, they obviously do work so if any other members would like to try them please do

> > > 300MB download
to download: right click and "SAVE TARGET AS"
> > > 250MB download

< < < 150MB download

tiger1
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by tiger1 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Just been watching some of these cips. Amazing! Very fast download. About 30 seconds for my laptop, (which is nothing special!!). Quality of clip is good too. Brought back floods of memories. Thanks for putting them up. Awesome.
"Clubby"

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Sas » Wed May 11, 2011 8:30 am

Watched them both and great to see this was after my time but i'm sure I saw Tez in some of the shots the place had a revamp and looks good
Regards
Sas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic