My memories of Windsor Safari Park

What happened when you visited? What did you see? Stories, anecdotes, photos, scans, anything about visiting the legendary safari park as a paying customer!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

SNSUN

My memories of Windsor Safari Park

Post by SNSUN » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey all. Until yesterday when I found this site, I had put Windsor Safari Park to the back of my mind. Reading some of the threads on this board really made the memories come flooding back.

I was born in 1980, and for my whole life have lived in Old Windsor (until last year when I moved in with my girlfriend in Egham, although my parents are still there). With Windsor Safari Park in such proximity, my mum regularly used to take me and my sister when she had nothing better to do. Each year she invested in the Gold Pass, which we were very proud of, even better because we knew it wouldn't take much persuading to get my mum to take us.

The more I rack my brain, the more I remember of my experiences at the park. Reading through the history of the park, I didn't realise how mismanaged it seemed to be, and as a young'un at the time, turning into an adolescent, I didn't realise that the animals were taking a back seat to the rides and amusements (which I loved). I loved seeing the animals and using the Toboggon Run (which I still think would struggle to pass health and safety rules now), my mum loved the dolphins and killer whale and the elephants, and my sister loved the climbing frame. There was something for all of us. As I got older before the park closed, I developed a love for the arcades, and was happy I had them as close to my house as I do.

Bits of the park I remember vividly, bits I struggle to. I remember the butterfly house, with the crocodiles (alligators) at the end. They never moved, and I always doubted whether they were real. I didn't want to get close enough to find out! I remember the area where the parrots performed, with the animatronic parrot squarking his head off. (Annoying as hell that was...) I remember driving through the big cat enclosure, my mum letting me take the steering wheel, and her panic when we headed towards the grass. I remember friction burns from the Tobboggon Run, the climbing frame and the expensive food outlets. I remember being impressed by the work that was being undertaken when it closed. Had WSP stayed open, I do think it would have become a bigger attraction than it already was.

Perhaps the memory I have that sticks out the most in my memory involves the giraffes. When it was feeding time, I remember we were allowed to feed them bread, and as I was a short arse as a kid, I stood on a mound to get closer to the giraffes. Big mistake. I got blindsided by the neck of a giraffe, flew off the mound and burst into tears. I told my girlfriend this, and she still wets herself when she hears it. Bloody hurt I can tell you, clumbsy sodding giraffe! (I still love them...)

It's such a shame it closed. My mum had only just renewed our Gold Passes when it closed, and I don't know whether she ever got her money back. I wonder if she still has them... I'm sure I have photos of my time at WSP, if I can find any, I'll put them up on here. I think we still have the Chris Packham "Go Wild at Windsor" in video.

I went to Legoland shortly after it opened but I was already too old for it. It wasn't a patch on WSP. I'm now an annual pass holder with Merlin so I can use Thorpe Park as it's just around the corner, but I still like going to Chessington to see the animals. I'd love to have been able to take my children to WSP.

That's about it. If I can remember anything else, I'll post it up.

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: My memories of Windsor Safari Park

Post by Sas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 am

Hey,
Thanks for the great memorys and we all look forward to seeing any photos and the gold pass if you have one

Best regards

Sas

falkor
plague
plague

Post by falkor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:09 pm

SAS did you email me saying you had password problems on February 24, 2010 ? :16

Sas
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Sas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:04 pm

No buddy not me

Abbott^^^^422

Post by Abbott^^^^422 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:26 am

They want to make it possible to return the Necromancer in a future expansion, so the Witch Doctor is using plagues instead of the kind the real dark magic kinda spells.
By the way plagues and stuff fits the Voodoo concept alot more than curses... Although I guess they could have a skill where you hurt enemies by using a voodoo doll or something..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic