Giraffes

What happened when you visited? What did you see? Stories, anecdotes, photos, scans, anything about visiting the legendary safari park as a paying customer!

Moderator: Paul Scott and Tez Bobrowicz

fairmeadow

Giraffes

Post by fairmeadow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:42 pm

My wife and I took my grandmother, who at the time was well into her 80s. She took everything in her stride, until we came to the giraffes. She'd seen pictures before but was in no way prepared for the reality. She couldn't really comprehend that such creatures could exist, let alone walk past us and even lower their heads into the car. Her amazement and her joy at having seen them (it was the last year of her life) are among the memories that always remain. It was opportunities like this that made the park such a valuable part of the area.

falkor
plague
plague

Re: Giraffes

Post by falkor » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi fairmeadow, welcome back to Windsor Safari Park

A video was made in 1988 of the park and includes some shots of the giraffes too, I totally agree with you that the experience of driving around the route in your car was an opportunity that held amazing experiences in store just like the one you had with your dear grandmother

Little did we know that the management were quietly deciding that cars were to be prohibited from the safari route (in 1991)

You may be interested to have a look at the video clip which is filmed professionally (in 1988)

Martin
CREW LEADER
CREW LEADER

Re: Giraffes

Post by Martin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Not a Giraffe but someone who used to share their paddock....... the beautiful Cindy, who was sometimes even a match for Jo-Jo! Photo circa 1979
Attachments
img108.jpg
img108.jpg (138.67 KiB) Viewed 4857 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic